1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Problem" message on MFD after installing aftermarket stereo

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by HippyDippy, May 3, 2012.

1. HippyDippy

HippyDippy New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi All,
    Sorry if this has been covered, but i couldn't find anything specific to my problem.
    I installed a new JVC Arsenal KDA735BT CD Receiver in my 2006 Prius. I did the install myself after reading up in this forum and others. It was not my first time doing a stereo install, so I felt confident that I could pull it off. I got the Stereo, wiring harness, Metra ASWC (for steeringwheel functions to work), and in-dash mounting kit all from Crutchfield.
    I couldn't be happier with the install. It works great and only does the random channel/mode change once in a while (I know that I need to open the dash back up and check the ASWC wires to make sure that that there isn't a short)
    This was all done about a month ago, and in the last week I have started to see a "Problem" message on the MFD. Sometimes there will also be the !triangle, sometimes just "problem". At first I only noticed it when driving down a steep hill and braking hard (scary as shit btw), but today it happened on flat ground when not breaking. the road was a little bumpy when it happened and it ocured to me that the road is also bumpy where I had seen the message before.
    After reading on these forums, I checked the battery draw using the method shown here priuschat.com/forums/newbie-forum/73400-weird-stuff-happening-mpgs-dropping-test-battery.html and found that it is a little low, 12.2v on ACC, 11.8v when not charging, 14.3 when charging.
    Could the minor short from the ASWC cause a problem in the battery? Could it just be an old battery since it is still the original? are the numbers I am getting from the battery even low enough to be a concern? Does anyone have any other thoughts as to what might be causing the problem?
    Thanks all!
    I included some shots of the install in process and finished look.
    [edit: removed pic because it had an address shown]

Attached Files:

2. HippyDippy

HippyDippy New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    as you can see in lower right corner of the second picture, I used the red inline splicers rather than stripping and wrapping the wires, I think that is why I am getting the shorts.

3. tdelker

tdelker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's unclear to me (but may be clear to others), did the wiring harness have the resistor fix in it?

4. HippyDippy

HippyDippy New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, yes, I did use the resistor. You can't see it in this picture. I think that I may have put it in after I took this picture.