1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Problem with fuel tank

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by acausedelle, Apr 7, 2013.

1. acausedelle

acausedelle Hypermiling Through Campus

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I filled up my 2005 Prius today and despite going 320 miles and having 3 blips on the screen, it only took about 4 gallons, less than half of what it usually takes. The mfd said about 55 mpg, an there is no way I could have gotten 80 mpg (it's what it calculated it out to be). Any advice?

2. Prius_Cub

Prius_Cub Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Most likely what you're seeing is the effect of cold temperature on the rubber bladder in the gas tank, its quite common. Others recommend averaging several fill-ups together to get a more correct average value.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's good that you are keeping track of miles traveled since last refueling. Ideally the MFD also shows mpg since last refueling, not mpg over a longer period of time.

Since your data tells you that the car consumed 6 gallons of fuel since the last refueling, you could pump 6 gallons without concern.

Prius_Cub likes this.