1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

problem with recharging a dead battery

Discussion in 'Honda/Acura Hybrids and EVs' started by deadbattery, Nov 3, 2008.

1. deadbattery

deadbattery New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's Acura. I left it for over one month without driving. while last night was sub zero but today the temperature is 3 or 4 C. when I tried to drive it, it had no response. I realized the battery was dead!
    I tried to recharge it with a car recharger. A strange clicking sound was heard as soon as the recharger was connected. I double checked everything and tried again. The same thing happened. Then I stopped. Anyone has any idea of what the problem is? frozen battery? any particular problem with the car? Thanks.

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1. how many amps is the charger?

My charger has 3 setting. 5, 10, and 50 amps. 5 isn't enough with a dead system. 10 seems to work when left sitting for a couple mins.

It sounds like relays are trying to switch, but there's not enough power. (that's what mine sounds like anyways)

3. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Try disconnecting one lead on the battery and then charge it, Or both leads and bring it in the house Charge .at least overnight. Then reconnect. What voltage does the Bat read? Is there water in all the cells?