1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Production 2012 Prius Plug-In Set for Frankfurt Debut - 77% increase in MPG

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Aug 12, 2011.

1. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  2. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Regarding the position of the socket - that does matter? I mean, you are not driving to a fuel station to charge it and your garages will have plugs on this or that side of it.... so, where the socket is, does it really matter?
    Sure it is interesting that they *might* have moved it, and it would be interesting to know why.

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Purely a guess, but if they did move it to the back I would guess it was done to save costs since the battery and such is in the back.

4. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes - it is a matter of convinience - don't want tripping over it when walking around in the garage.

I didn't like the Leaf front ports before getting the car - I like it now. It is conviniently out of the way.

5. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It is a possibility that people with the test versions of the plugin provided feedback to Toyota that having the cord in the front was an inconvenience and they would rather the cord be in the back.

I see pros and cons to this rearrangement though .. most people drive forward into their garages then back out. With this configuration, you could still go in and out o the driver's door without having to step/trip over the cord. However, when you backout without unplugging the cord .. well, if it was in the front, that would probably never happen since you'd have to pass the cord on your way to get in the car. Oh wait, they could just wire the circuit so the car wont shift out of park until it's unplugged. I tend to agree more with Paradox though - less wiring and closer to the battery.

Maybe we should ask Toyota their reason. :)

EVnow, can you elaborate on your experiences with the Leaf?

1 person likes this.
  6. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    But not all people have plugs in their garage in the same position as you. There will always be those who will trip or not on the charging cable no matter where you position the socket on the car. You are lucky with your garage plugs configuration and the Leaf's socket frontal position. There might be others that may find that not as convenient.
    Or not?

7. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    But maybe the idea is to use the existing circuitry in the engine bay (inverter and dc/dc converter) to help in the conversion from 120V/240V AC to DC battery voltage, hence having the socket at the front?

1 person likes this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol. Actually it works better for me if the flap wasn't near the front. I always back into the garage (we face an alley so there's no driveway to back the car out into. You're much safer driving out into the alley than to back out) so the Leaf's charging port means I have to drive in since they'll probably install the charger at the back of the garage. With the Prius PHV, I can use the side outlets (there's one on each side) so as long as it's not near the hood of the car, it's more convenient for me!

9. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Maybe they should just put it in the center of the roof. Lol. :D

Seriously, how much does it really matter? To me, if the cord is long enough, the slack will cause it to drop onto the garage floor and you can just step over it. Please explain how much of an inconvenience this is, so we can understand better. Thanks. :)

I understand how the Leaf plug in the front center can be annoying if you back in (depending on how far the garage door is from the front of your car), but if you have a long extension cord, is it really that much of an inconvenience?

Getting back to what Paradox and Pakitt suggested, the location of the battery and AC/DC converter is likely an influencing decision as well. BUT ... it seems that the original prototype design would have already taken internal functionality into consideration.

(I feel like we're typing way too much over the location of a power cord. Lol )

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do not know about the Leaf but for the Prius PHV prototypes, you can't use an extension cord so it has to be close enough to use the stock cable.

11. StuffOnARock

StuffOnARock Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I remember reading about the fact that you shouldn't use an extension cord, was there ever a reason given for that? It really doesn't make sense to me...

12. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There would be a voltage drop across the extension cord.

Mike

2 people like this.
  13. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    So I should add 50' of internal wiring instead? :p

14. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    IMHO, the new lights above blinkers will be DRL, as they are a must for EU version produced 2011+.

15. MERIDIAN

MERIDIAN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They look like baloons on the car, I was thinking the same thing.

16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There is the voltage drop, but it mostly about safety.
    The longer the cord, the greater the resistance, the more heat generated, and the greater chance of a fire.
    If you ever read the manual of a plugged in lawn tool, it will tell you to use higher rated amp cords for longer lengths. This might work with an EV charger, but it is plugged in a lot longer than a trimmer or wood chipper.

1 person likes this.
  17. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the big problem is the 16ga cords you can buy, if you have a 12ga or 10 even then there would be no real issue.

18. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    While extension cords increase the chance of a bad connection getting hot, there's another safety reason:

J1772 charge cords are not supposed to be plugged into GFI outlets as they have built in GFI. If plugged into a GFI outlet, there's a good chance the charge cord will trip the GFI. So with an extension cord plugged into a non-GFI outlet you've got shock risks where the charge cord plugs into the extension cord.

None of that has kept me from plugging in using an extension cord when needed - in the dry of course - if plugging in when it might be wet, one should be sure to only handle the J1772 plug when live or make sure you unplug the extension cord at the outlet before plugging in or unplugging the charge cord.

19. krouebi

krouebi 2012 Peugeot 3008 HYbrid4

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there,

There are some strange issues about the photo from toyotagb-press:

1) The vehicle shown is not for the UK market - look closely at the position of the steering wheel and the wipers.

2) The markings on the tires: Compared to "normal" tires, the tire size markings are upside down, most of the markings are missing (including brand name), P240/50-16 is not an existing size for cars (you have motorbike tires in that size, though), and in Europe (including the UK) Prius are not marketed with M&S tires.

OK - if the aim of leaking this "spy" photo was to get the talking going in the Internet fora - they succeded :rockon: brilliantly.

20. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I hope the Frankfurt unveiling in a few weeks comes with a huge PDF file, loaded with tech specs and notes.