1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Progress on repeal of Virginia Hybrid Fee

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by wjtracy, Jan 16, 2014.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2014 Virginia legislature has convened and new Gov sworn in.
    I understand the Hybrid Fee Repeal proposal is doing well in committee with bi-partisan support.
    >>Might be a good time to let your delegate and/or state senator know your position, or if you are
    like me, let them know for the umpteenth time.

Interesting question: if repealed, will they refund all the $64/yr fees since July 1? We shall see.

The hybrid fee was passed on the very last day of the 2013 session last March, so this is the first chance to correct what many feel was a mistake of the last session. I do not know how other states do it, our house/senate only meets 60 days at beginning of year apparently.

Good article on this is WaPo (Washington Post)

Virginia Senate panel advances bill to repeal hybrid car tax - The Washington Post

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is good news. As for give money back, I doubt it. There were a bunch of tax code and other legislative screw-ups so my thinking is fix the future . . . there will be a lot more of it than the past.

Bob Wilson

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow. I could not have foreseen this favorable outcome:
    VA Senate today voted 35 to 3 to repeal the new hybrid fee (believe it includes refund of the amount collected).
    Still waiting VA House action, but it looks like all parties want to stop this new fee ASAP.

I am busy writing emails to the VA House members, but victory seems close.
    >>PM me if you want a copy of the marching orders about who to write to; I suspect some of you have the information.

Let's see how this goes down from here...think we see trend but let's see.

Update: also today the VA House Finance Committee voted 15 to 1 to repeal, and the Gov said he would sign it if passed

Translation- The VA hybrid fee is essentially dead as of today:)

Prius_Cub, bwilson4web and ftl like this.
  4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    90 to 9 in favor of repeal in the VA House ...to the Gov for signature later in Feb

Va. House of Delegates votes to repeal ‘hybrid tax’ - The Washington Post

Prius_Cub and bwilson4web like this.
  5. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Good news, Virginia has repealed their annual $64 hybrid tax. It was earlier reduced from $100.

Prius_Cub likes this.
  6. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's excellent news- and props to people who kept at it and contributed to the bad press that helped the repeal!

7. TorqueNews

TorqueNews Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

"Under new democratic governor, and former electric vehicle company founder, the Virginia tax on hybrids is now history."

Virginia repeals the Prius tax - Torque News

The question is how many states will follow and when?

Attached Files:

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...we are not popping champagne corks quite yet, the Gov had said he will sign the bill ASAP next month or so.

But the House and Senate have to reconcile any differences ... I have not seen the language yet I presume we are getting what we wanted. But there were so many proposals from so many legislators, I retain some caution until we see for sure.

I think when the bill is signed we can celebrate. At that time, I want to thank all on Prius Chat who helped support this outcome, including those who signed the petitions etc.

Thank you for covering.
    Not sure I understand your question though.
    VA was the only state to try a hybrid tax, and looks everyone gets their money back.
    VA and a few other states do have a fee on 100% EV's.
    A couple other states were thinking about hybrid tax...hopefully less now.

9. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good writing as usual by Anthony.
    I am waiting for Gov to sign next month, but looks like "done deal" from here.:)

Anthony is factually incorrect about the VA gaso tax details.
    VA recently reduced gaso tax to 3.5% wholesale (about 10-cents/gal) had been 17.5 cents/gal.
    Just strengthens Anthony's point that VA gaso tax is so low, over-taxing hybrids makes no sense.

11. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Richmond Times-Dispatch reported on February 23:

By a vote of 37-1, the Virginia Senate Thursday easily approved the House of Delegates version of a bill to repeal the much-maligned tax on hybrid vehicles embedded in last year’s landmark transportation funding bill.

Like its Senate companion, Senate Bill 127, House Bill 975 repeals the annual $64 fee on the vehicles and refunds fees paid in advance for the next year.

Repeal of the tax would reduce by roughly $11 million the revenue generated by the transportation funding package, which was projected to raise $1 billion a year for roads and mass transit.

Gov. Terry McAuliffe supports the repeal.

[since the vote to repeal in the House was also overwhelmingly positive, I think this repeal will happen.]

12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes we are just waiting for the Gov to sign the bill...he has option to make some changes. But I don't think he will change it. It calls for refunds, so anyone who paid will get their money back.

Gov McAuliffe is on WTOP radio @ 10AM tomorrow for his first Ask the Governor show...might be interesting show.

Robert Holt likes this.
  13. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yay for us hybrid owners!
    Honestly don't care about the money but think it was a ill-thought-out tax initiative. Tax based on miles driven and weight of vehicle might make sense as replacement for a gas and diesel tax to support the road infrastructure, but not just singling out hybrids.

14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...drum roll please! Gov is on radio with bill to sign...could it be the Hybrid Fee Repeal?

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Robert Holt likes this.