1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

propane tri fuel prius ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by neorazz, Feb 21, 2008.

1. neorazz

neorazz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I've been searching around here and it seems everyones worried about maximizing battery mileage by adding more batteries all those batteries add hundreds of pounds of weight to the vehicle reducing speed, efficiency,safety and most of all EXPENSIVE half the price of the car to get any decent amount of distance

untill Li-IO batteries are lighter and cheaper why not focus on the effcieny of the ICE already on board by using fuel enhancers like propane
    not to replace the gas just to stretch it out even more

there are kits avalible for normal cars for under $1k thats still alot but i bet i could be built from off the shelf parts for much less

yes this article was written in 1972 and for carburatored engines but the technologys sound
    Convert Your Car to Propane
    Propane Conversion Kits
    Superchips DPI Digital Propane Injection Kit, Car Propane Injection Kits
    Green Car Congress: LPG Prius Concept Car

if this has been discussed before sorry all i found was this
    http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-main-forum/35855-propane-powered-prius.html

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Or just use gasoline.

Tom

3. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Propane fueled vehicles have their place, especially in that they burn cleaner.
    But I think that Propane has fewer BTU's per unit of volume than gasoline, and ergo fewer mpg. The idea of converting an already clean and efficient Prius is crazy IMHO.

Icarus

4. kermitcar

kermitcar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've also wondered about this. Not so much to replace the gasoline but to stretch it out a bit further like neorazz said. I have a propane injection kit and 40lb. tank that I never installed on my F350. I wonder, if I adjust it down low and then up to where I need it, if it would help with the power and mileage.

5. shot

shot Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    my p2 runs on propane/butane - just because it is half the price of gas here

6. alexeft

alexeft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My gen2 prius also runs on lpg. It's 1/3 the price in Bulgaria LOL!!! ;)

The cost per mile is almost the same as running a PHEV prius and doing all the distance
    on electricity. (y)

PS: I live in Greece.