1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Property owner SHOOTS gas-siphoning thief!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Rybold, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If you go to news.yahoo.com, and search for "siphoning," you will see that there is all of a sudden an explosion in reports of people siphoning gasoline. One man took matters into his own hands when he walked outside with a 9mm and shot the bastard!
    NWAnews.com :: Northwest Arkansas' News Source

2. jammin012

jammin012 The man behind The Man

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Supprised it took this long.

3. donut132

donut132 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    if i see somone here in louisiana i will shoot them too. but ill use my 45. c fruitcakes want to outlaw guns?

4. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This was no less than a armed burglary. I do not see where these people are getting off with a "criminal mischief" charge.

Back in the early 80's my brother's and I caught a kid syphoning gas from one of our cars right in front of the house, on a suburban street. With people all around, although it was midnight. He was lucky he did not get shot (not by me, I had the baseball bat) although he did not have a gun. If one of my brother's had not recognised him, and the guy nearly burst into tears, he would have been off to jail that night.

5. fthorn

fthorn From gas hog to greenie to gas hog

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe some states' citizens are well within their rights to use any force to protect property, including items (cars) in their yard/drive.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was at a local marine shop yesterday...it's become very popular to siphon gas from boats...one recent theft was of 140 gallons...at the lake rate of $4.50/gallon that's pretty significant. These guys just pull up on their boats and siphon away. Only a couple manufacturers make locking caps. It doesn't get much easier.

7. misslexi

misslexi Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The latest trend I read somewhere is to steal the gas by using a cordless drill to make a hole in the gas tank. SUVs and trucks are the easiest targets since it's easy to get under them. I guess more and more vehicle have plastic gas tanks which means less chance the drill will cause a spark. Crazy times.

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to see life is still worth less than stuff in the good old US of A.

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ok, let's properly wander off topic:
    [​IMG]
    Muzzle loaders, the only weapons truely protected by the Second Amendment! But the worst gasoline thieves are:

• 9 gallons/year - NRA dues
    • 250 gallons/life - NRA lifetime dues
    • unlimited gallons - NRA 'stuff'
    • :deadhorse:
    In addition to gasoline thievery, NRA advocates and gun nuts are notorious hijackers. For example, recently they attempted to hijack the "PriusChat" forum "Fuel Economy" by posting neither Prius content nor anything having to do with fuel economy. Hijacking, is a common technique of NRA bullies and time thieves who seem desperate for unearned attention ... making up for their other short comings.

So in a last desperate attempt to bring some Prius fuel economy reference to this hijacked, gun nut thread:

• Without the 50 cal. muzzle loader in my 2003 Prius, I got 52.4 MPG
    • With the 50 cal. muzzle loader in my 2003 Prius, I got 52.4 MPG
    • With the 50 cal. muzzle loader, shot and powder, I got 52.4 MPG
    I have also noticed my first shot is often 'off' 6" and thereafter I'm shooting 3-4" groups at 50 yards. I have wondered if the lack of vibration from my Prius leaves me too relaxed to hold the rifle on target. Perhaps some of our gas-only shooters might compare and contrast shooting after driving a vibrating, noisy gas-only vehicle versus the quieter, vibration free Prius?

Bob Wilson

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The new penchant for thieves to drill the tanks makes me happy the Prius has such a low clearance. Makes it unattractive for stealing gas. Besides, the tank is so small. Truck tanks hold so much more, so for the thieves it's much more cost effective to drill a large tank.

They should be looking for motor homes.

11. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Isn't it against the law to use deadly force in a situation wherein your life is not in danger? If so they should go to jail.

Wildkow

12. gman11377

gman11377 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Read the story before you post. The thieves in this case had a rifle, and pointed it at the property owner. He was well within his rights to use any force at his disposal. Mr Sparks I guess doesn't care to protect himself, or his property from theft or destruction.

13. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It depends on the state. Some states allow deadly force to defend property.

I remember one case in Texas, where a repo man was mortally wounded attempting to repossess a truck from the owner's driveway. The local prosecutor was not sure he could prosecute, even if he wanted to: "After all, the repo man was on the owners property after dark..."

Tom

14. hiremichaelreid

hiremichaelreid New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I thought that case had something to do with old Texas laws/legal principles that allow you to use deadly force to protect your home and horses from rascals and horse-thieves. I think horses somehow got modernized to vehicles.

I wonder if Texas repo-men are still under this danger. I have to think there will be lots of business repo-ing SUVs and big trucks soon. (Not that finance companies will be able to get much for the repos.)

15. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The fruitcakes who want to outlaw guns don't worry me. It's the fruitcakes WITH guns that can cause real damage.

16. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :cool:, I don't think there's a limit on bagging em either is there...

17. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I own quite a few guns. Am I a fruitcake? Just wondering where I fall in the
    gun/-------------------------------/no gun category.

18. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think there is, 5 per week.

19. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well you’re absolutely right.:thumb: In his defense, Mr. Sparks is an Aussie they have some rather odd beliefs down there. I imagine spinning around and around upside down a 1,000 mph puts a bit of strain on your brain. But since he is in the security biz I can vouch that he does indeed believe it worthwhile to protect property from theft and destruction. BTW the fellow that shot those thieves did just about everything right including NOT shooting them in the back as they fled. In some jurisditions they also ding you for shooting fleeing perps in the back as if (just like in this case) they couldn’t turn around and fire back at you with their weapon(s).

Wildkow

20. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :D

Thanks for the data Bra...

I CERTAINLY don't want to go over the limit in this state...

I just hate dragging their bodies through the door afterwards is all...