1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Prospective Prius owner...Need help.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by rhammer, Jun 27, 2013.

?
  1. 2013 Prius 3

17 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. 2013 Prius C four

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rhammer

rhammer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone!

I'm finally in the market for my first NEW car. After narrowing down my long list I am focusing entirely on the Prius. I never thought I would like it, but after enough research and reading through this page I am more convinced than ever that this is the car for me. I can’t decide between the 2013 Prius 3 ($24,819) or the 2013 Prius C four ($23,522). Quotes are not final. I can and will try to get it lower. But to start - is that a fair price?

I am having trouble deciding between the two options I presented. Most important to me is acceleration, MPG, comfort and reliability. Acceleration is VERY important. It saved my life when I was hit from the side while crossing an intersection. I saw the car run the red light on my left and was able to avoid getting hit on the driver’s side door by standing on the pedal. The car ended up hitting me between the back passenger door on the driver side and the gas cap. Had I not been able to accelerate fast enough I would have been killed on impact.

With that said,

Driving needs- I live close to work and only travel 20 miles each day round trip. Mostly local - NYC streets. Between my commute and errands I average 200 miles a week city and highway with the city miles being slightly higher than highway. I also visit my parents who live 45 miles away about once a month and travel to visit my grandparents with the same frequency about 100 miles away. I will be making trips to Tennessee twice a year for the next few years and can't trust my little old 2004 Hyundai Elantra since it’s about 1800 miles round trip.

Driving Habits - I may be a female, but I am a bit of an aggressive driver with a lead foot. (I’m hoping that the Prius will teach me how to drive properly!)

I hope I gave enough information. I'm hoping to hear about owners experiences with either model and which you would buy if given the option to choose again.

Thank you in advance for your advice!

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I love my Prius, I loved my Prius before this one, but no car is right for everyone. So in the interest in happy owners, here is my 'who should not own a Prius' post:
    considering a Prius | PriusChat

Best of luck!

If children are anywhere in your future, I would skip the c.

rhammer and JMD like this.
  3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I say skip the c. Haven't driven it, but at 99 HP, must be a wheezer on highway. Regular Prius is fair on highways, but tell you the truth, I'm looking toward midsize sedan hybrid (Accord) next go around, but it's a waiting game as development takes time.

I would *highly* suggest to rent a Prius for a day or three. Toyota has 'rent a car' program through many dealers. You may be more comfortable flooring a rental than a new car with 5 miles on it (not a bad idea since owners manual says 'avoid sudden acceleration / braking for first 600 miles').

rhammer likes this.
  4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't want to fall into the trap of "This is what I bought and own, therefore this is what everyone should buy and own". I just came from a Honda Fit-subcompact to The standard "Prius"-mid-size.

To me? Nothing against the Prius c, but Toyota themselves market it as being primarily a vehicle designed for urban city driving. That's it's "thing".

What I like about the regular Prius, is that it very nearly matches the "c" in city MPG's but IMO is a much more comfortable vehicle for driving the freeway and highways.

If price...entry level price, isn't a factor? I think the regular Prius is a better choice for most people. Unless you simply like the concept and reality of a sub-compact. Which IS a legitimate position.

But reading your post, I'd say MPG and reliability should be about a wash with either choice. But if acceleration and comfort are the other two factors, then I'd say that clearly tips it in the regular Prius direction.

This sounds obvious and basic, but the only reason I'd buy a Prius c, over a regular Prius, is if I wanted a Prius c, in other words if I wanted a sub-compact. If the benefits of owning a sub-compact vehicle aren't priorities, and/or might even be negatives to you? Then I'd go with the standard Prius.

rhammer likes this.
  5. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Acceleration is not a strong point for Prius.

6. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The C gets better MPG in City driving the Hatch in Highway. Both are respectable in both City and Highway.

Just a matter of choice. The Hatch is bigger more comfortable for the driver, passengers and children and adults getting in and out of the rear seats.

Hatch would be more comfortable on the long drives and more storage space for vacations etc. Your mileage is so low the difference in savings is negligible between the C and the Hatch. Both are easy to park.

I would test drive both than decide.

I'm leaning toward the Hatch you can grow into it and a better ride for you, family and friends

rhammer likes this.
  7. rhammer

rhammer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for all this information. I will definitely be renting both models in the coming weeks. Just wanted an owners opinion since the information on driving experience I keep getting from the salespeople tend to be bogus. Specs I can easily get online by visiting well known car review websites. There is so much that you miss if you go by that only. I even spoke to a salesperson who finally admitted to me that he never actually drove one. It was fairly obvious since he couldn’t answer even the simplest of questions about the cars handling, comfort....

As for the future - which ever car I get, it will be for the long run. I dont plan on replacing it after a few years. I hope to keep the car for at least 10 years. Having room for children isnt a deciding factor for me. I am 27 years old with no intention of having kids. While that may change in the future, it is not playing a role in choosing a vehicle.
    I understand that acceleration isn’t that great in the Prius but I need a very fuel efficient car for the long distance trips I intend to make. I do have to stay under my maximum budget of $25K so I'm pretty limited as far as alternative options. I looked at other "green" cars like the Civic Hybrid and Honda Fit. Their HP isn’t much improved if at all. The Prius seems to be the most reliable as far as a manufacturer is concerned in addition to having one of the better warranties for their battery. I live in NY so I would get the 10/150K one.

JMD likes this.
  8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll bet those puny 175 width tires on the c get pounced around a good bit more on the highway.

Prius gets most of the attention for hybrids. 2013 Camry Hybrid LE (base model) can be had for about $24.5k before TTL any day at Toyota Sunnyvale.
    much more powerful (200 vs. only 134), quieter and comfortable car than even Prius liftback. Can definitely get over 40 MPG combined. That's only 2 gallons less to refill after 450 miles.

Can rent cars for only 2 hours at Toyota including Camry Hybrid, but book in advance. You won't get rearview camera at that $24.5k price, but will get 3 door smart key (trunk included which is nice).

rhammer likes this.
  9. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Camry is a married with kids car. This kid is singe living in NYC the Prius Hatch is your car. In fact I would look at the Scion FR-S which is about in the same price range and you get that Toyota qality.That car is a chick magnet. If you're going fishing best to upgrade the bait. Ferrari Red

Scion FR-S | Prices And Information | Scion.com

image.jpg image.jpg

10. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I did not hear any hint she is fishing for chicks, but what do I know?

Having owned two Prius, the 3 door Smart Key System, is nicer than 1 door SKS. Both your choices have 3 door SKS. (I checked as in the Prius v, level Three is only 1 door)

rhammer and JMD like this.
  11. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Everyone is searching for something, but your right just an assumption

12. jgilliam1955

jgilliam1955 Sometime your just gotta cry! 2013 Prius 4.

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You are spending a lot of money for a nice car. I would rent each car for a weekend then make your choice. I did this and I was hooked. Good luck.

SCH-I535 ? 2

rhammer likes this.
  13. rhammer

rhammer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    JMD - nice car! As I approach my 28th birthday and suffering with each minute that gets me closer to my birthday, I want to thank you for calling me a "kid"!

Yes, I'm a "she" with no interest in a chick/man magnet car. lol. While I do appreciate a sexy looking car I'm leaning towards an economical and VERY fuel efficient one. I was going to go with the Elantra because its just so much prettier but decided that MPG was most important.

JMD likes this.
  14. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If it was me I would go for the Prius Liftback, but I strongly recommend some sort of over night test drive of each car. My dealer allowed me to take a Gen 2 home and I loaded it with my stuff. Until then, I was very skeptical. The car was better than the advertising.

rhammer likes this.
  15. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well if you drove a Prius I'd ask you out but my wife would not accept that but than again you never know ( joke just kidding honey) . :)

Sounds like whatever you decide a new car is always fun. Best of luck. Economical means more money left over for clothes and entertainment.

image.jpg

rhammer likes this.
  16. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I am single. Giggidy. :)

17. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    All kidding aside, I drove the c Four before I bought my LB Five and I hated the c. Unacceptable level of noise, poor ride, and acceleration. And I am 6'3" and look like a clown in the c.

WE0H likes this.
  18. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...I am thinking the standard Prius Liftback has performed better in the tougher new crash tests. NYC a small car is nice for squeezing into parking for sure, but the regular Prius is OK too. I try to stay on the Jersey side, but lots of times in Hoboken I get in the wrong lane, and next thing you know, you're in NYC.

rhammer likes this.
  19. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would pass on the C and go with the hatchback for the space...................

rhammer likes this.
  20. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The C might have an advantage of being able to get into smaller parking spaces and more nimbly moving through traffic. Also, it should get modestly better gas mileage in your city driving. I've not driven a C, so I cannot speak specifically to these points, but they would be my starting assumptions.

The Prius liftback (which I do have experience driving) is comfortable on the highway and does well in city driving. You can put the car in "Power" mode, which will give you a lot of acceleration for little gas pedal depression (gives the illusion the car has a lot of get up and go), I would recommend you drive a rental Prius in Power mode, I suspect it will be "peppy" enough for your needs.

I think both have side air bags, so if anyone does try to T-Bone you, you'll have that working for you (so the instant acceleration may not be as dire a need as you consider it to be.....just saying).

Good luck with your choices!

rhammer likes this.