1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

protect confidential contacts;iphone4s;2012 prius 3

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by namlohmot, Jul 8, 2012.

1. namlohmot

namlohmot New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am a psychologist, and just bought a 2012 Prius 3. I had no trouble pairing my iphone 4s with the car, and then (it seemed suddenly) the car had all my contacts, many of which are confidential. The manual says there's a manage contacts screen where you can delete contacts, but it doesn't seem to be available on my prius (or there's something that should be obvious that I'm not doing). I have unpaired the phone for now, but would like to know how to protect confidential contacts and keep them out of my car. Any tips greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tom

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Do you have a Prius v wagon?

3. namlohmot

namlohmot New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No. Prius 3 hatchback 2012.

4. etobia

etobia Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just guessing here.....Does the iPhone have a privacy setting or lock setting on contacts? Seems to me the thing can regulate securit on many features.

Does the iPhone have a way to make two lists (one confidential and one not)? Possibly check with Toyota, or someone here, to see if Bluetooth can give you the option which group of contacts to use?

Personally, I'd make a call to Apple because it is the newer of the technologies on privacy features. Then the manual to the Prius.

Another option in the mean time is to delete your phone from the car every time you use it.....this deletes all of the contacts so other drivers can't see your list. While it might seem tedious it would be the most secure method in the meantime.

Good luck.....keep us posted!

5. namlohmot

namlohmot New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks very much. I just figured it out this morning. First of all, I have to set which contacts are transferred on the iphone, but it has to be done in the right order. First, you pair the phone and car, accept the pairing on both. Then, before touching anything on the car's touch screen, you go to the phone under bluetooth, and tap "car multimedia". Then you get a screen on the iphone that gives you options of what to sync. You can choose not to sync any contacts at all; to sync favorites, recent calls, and then you see all you contact groups, but you seem to be able to check only one of those boxes. Having made those choices, you can then go to the car's touchscreen and tap contacts and it will bring over the ones you have allowed on the phone. I have done that and have successfully made a couple of calls using the steering wheel controls, so I think I'm in business.

I have read the Prius manual and it wasn't much help. However, it does seem to say that you have different options depending on which Bluetooth protocol your phone uses to connect with the car. In the iphone's case it seems to be PBAP. If you have use PDAP, the manual seems to imply (in a vague sort of way) that you don't get the "Manage Contacts" screen on the car. But like most manuals, they just leave it to the customer to do trial and error and tear his hear out.

6. etobia

etobia Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the details.......you are so correct about manuals, etc.

7. bkatona

bkatona Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, a good source is Toyota/Entunes....you can actually call them or go thru the troubleshooting area yourself.

8. etobia

etobia Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My Prius didn't come with entunes, but I do have the iPhone 4s with 3G. I have been wondering if all of the features of the iPhone will be able to work with the Bluetooth technology in the car. My brain is thinking yes, because the system recognizes iPods, (usb)