1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Public Charging Station, Diff. networks??

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by SteveWlf, Aug 3, 2013.

1. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a Prius Plug-in conversion and have installed it so I can utilize the standard J1772 Level2 charge stations. I am already a member of Charge-Point. I have my own Level 2 at home and have signed up on Plug-Share and have been sharing my station with other since I am only a block off the main WA SR12 (only station between Oly. and the Pac shores.)

I am now traveling outside my EV range and started visiting one of the Charge-Point stations 40 miles away. (frequently all 3 level 2s are in use)

When I check on line for other available station in the area, I find Blink and AeroVironment, etc.. My question IS there a reciprical arrangement between these services? Or do I have to go thru the hassle of providing CC info over the phone to gain access??

Just curious about how other deal with this situation.

Steve

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry i can't help steve, but that's pretty cool what you've done with the conversion. do you have a thread on it?

3. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :) What's your EV range?

4. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Collaboratev

It's being created by Blink and ChargePoint to merge their billing systems but it doesn't kick in until early 2014. Until then you just want to sign up for a Blink account and card on their website to go along with your existing ChargePoint account.

5. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have the 10kw pack so about 40 miles, if I drive in enhanced mode, where the ICE kicks in a little when over ~54 mph, or on a pull. On street driving about 90% battery, hwy it is about 75-80% since I stay at about 60 mph. Over that the ICE is doing more and my mileage drops to about 7o mpg. Still for mixed driving I am getting around 100 mph if I can charge at the end of the 40 mile range (return trip).
    The Plug-in Supply conversion I have, has a ICE kill switch but the use of it is not recommended because it can reduce the cell life (so I'm told).
    When I charge from my own station at home, it takes about 2-3 hrs. When I was at the Charge Point station I only stayed for an hour and charged 2.13 Kw. My charger is a Elcon PFC 2500, 7.5 amp.
    My daily driving is locale and 80% street so I home charge at the end of each trip. About once a week I would like to travel outside of my range and recharge at the public stations when possible to keep my overall MPG up around 100.

Steve

6. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is good to hear and I will check into it. However, here is my concern, many if not most Charge-Points are No Fee, as determined by their Host location. Public facilities, etc.. While Blink seems to be located at "for-profit" host locations, like medical centers and shopping centers. I'm wondering if Blink might have a heavy influence over Charge-Points operation and we would see the No-Fee (determined by host location) change as has happened with WalGreens.

Thanks for your reply

Steve

7. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    What are your electric rates per kwH?

8. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Blink and ChargePoint have different business models and I don't expect that to change in the near future. As far as I know, they are just increasing the efficiency of their billing process by sharing in order to bring down their overhead cost and they are also making it easier for users to have a single access card.

lensovet likes this.
  9. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

If you asking about my home rate, it is lower than most since I live in the Pac. NW USA where a good % is from hydro-elect.

1st 360 kwh is $0.0116 (or a little over a penny) then it goes to $0.0807/kwh. On top of that they add 2.14% State Privilege tax and 3.873% State Public Utility tax or total tax of 6.013%. So I pay about $.086/kw including taxes.

So, rough calculations, 4 hr charge at 10 amp on my 240 volt ac line would come out to about 77 cents per charge. That is based on the current reading when I am charging my Prius conversion. When I had a Leaf charging a very low battery, the current draw was slightly higher and my calculations came out to about 85 cents for a 2.5 hour charge. I don't even consider the thought of charging anyone and in WA it is only allowed if I don't charge more that the rate I pay.

I know my rates are far less than most other areas of the US but many years ago, many home, including my own were totally heated with electric because we had abundant hydro-elect. Now many of the smaller and some large dams have been removed for the sake of the fish spawning, eco, reasons, etc.. and the Pac NW joined the "Grid" sharing any excess that we had (in the past) as a result, our power rates went up some to keep demand down and many have changed to more efficient forms of heating. Myself, how have heat pump.

I hope this answers the question and any other question that seem to come up on the topic of electric rates for my region.

Steve

10. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Thanks. We're burdened with $0.22/kWh rates, with likely higher.

11. Ken Blake

Ken Blake Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Most Blink stations ARE pay to charge, however Kohl's has "Free" Blink chargers at both locations in my area. I still have to use my Blink card to activate the charger, but I don't accrue any fees to my Blink account. I suspect Kohl's has arranged to pay Blink's fee, but I don't know for sure what the arrangement is.

lensovet likes this.
  12. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I think the way it works is that the owner of the station pays for the electricity and collects any fees charged. The charging station provider sells the charging stations and provides the service to validate/activate and collects fees.

Mike

13. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    With a few exceptions as mentioned above, Blink charges a rate that depends on your membership level regardless of which station you are using, and Chargepoint charges at a rate determined by the property owner (i.e., by the hour, by the kwh, free, whatever).