1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Public Charging Stations network?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by SteveWlf, Jun 9, 2013.

1. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I normally hang out in the Gen2 section but just jumped over to Prius Plug-in to drop this question here. I'd like to get some prospective on the use of Public Charging Stations.

I have just recently completed a Gen2 Plug-in conversion and have planned to charge at home for the most part and installed a Level 2 station for that purpose (and for anyone else passing through. Check me out on PlugShare.com).

In the beginning and even now, I had no expectations of Free Charging on the road, unless it would be an "opportunity charge" at a stop along the way. That is the nice thing about retaining the benefits of the true Hybrid.

also: In the beginning there was the news that there was "free" charging at Walgreen's! I think most knew that was not going to last. If the public didn't abuse it and screw it up, then some For Proof would put a price on the service. I could see that coming before I even considered Plug-in conversion.

All of that said, I now travel within my EV range on my 10kw add on pack and recharge at home for the most part. The closest public charging stations are about 40 miles away, along the US I-5 highway. While considering the Plug-in conversion I did note the ever increasing network along this highway from Mex. boarder to Canada. I stopped at one last fall and ask a fellow charging his PiP about the cost and he was very vague about what it cost to charge. Just said he had put up a deposit and his credit card number and wouldn't know until they charged his card again.

To get to the point, I joined Charge Point today because they are suppose to be the largest in the over all network. And I understand the cost of charging can vary, depending on the host of the station location and even the time of day. Then I began to notice that there are several other charge station network providers along the I-5 and I read comments about the users having to call in to have the station activated. I gather from this that there will now be a charge station provider that will refer my charge usage back to Charge Point. Not sure how this all works.

Also, at the WA State Public Rest Area, they have another service provider called Aerovironment, requiring fob or phone call to use these stations. Google search didn't produce any info on this network.

Look kinda complicated to us if you have to call an system operator each time.

What is the deal, going between charging stations that are of a different provider??

Totally confused??

Steve

2. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Chargepoint is virtually the only provider in my area (MN). So all I ever deal with is the Chargepoint card.
    In my area, the cost to charge is displayed on the Chargepoint display. I have seen price per hour, per kWh and per session. None is as cheap or convenient as charging at home, which may not be the case in your area.

As for the wide variety of public charger suppliers, I strongly suspect better/more convenient methods of payment will be adopted.
    I know some Chargepoint stations can also be used without an account if you have an RFID credit card.

3. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The cost of the charge will vary because it decided upon by the station owner, not the network. In my area, most that charge, charge $2 an hour.

None of the stations I've come across take credit cards by swiping. They all take Near Field Communication (NFC) devices. Of the 15 or so assortment of credit and ATM cards between my wife and I, she has the one ATM card with NFC. It's odd that we both have the same Chase checking account ATM but she has the NFC while I do not.

Without NFC, most people will have to sign up for membership or call in with their credit card every time to unlock the plug even if it was free. With so many station networks, that's what I would recommend. Secure a card or smartphone with NFC so you don't have to call in or sign up for multiple memberships.

The Target store near me recently switched from free to "free for 2 hours and then $2/hr thereafter." This helped moved that white Nissan Leaf using one of the spots as their personal fuel station. Unfortunately, my free Chargepoint card won't work anymore as I registered it with no funds. I think Walgreens and other stores should follow this model. 2 hours or even 1 hour of shopping time is all you need. It's like parking validation for the 21st century.

iplug and SteveWlf like this.
  4. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the "free for 2 hours and then $2/hr afterwards". I am good for the "free" portion to be the benefit of a pre-paid annual membership program that expands network locations.

To address the problem of some vehicles hogging the charging stations, we need to advocate that these vehicles graduate to 6KW+ charging for L2 connections (20 miles of range per hour of charging) versus the more common 3KW charging that most are limited to. 3KW, or less is appropriate for home charging overnight but ties up resources at shared charging locations.

SteveWlf likes this.
  5. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree that in principle and as practical, one should charge at the max rate his batteries are capable of (within the recommended charge rate for the longevity of the batteries). That said, I am slightly under the normal rate what the Level 2 Public Charging station might be capable of, 6KW. Right now my home charger is rated for and wired for 5KW and therefore I only installed a 1500 watt charger.

That said, if I begin traveling the Green Highway I-5, I will simply install a larger charger to minimize the time I have to spend waiting for a charge. If I recall correctly, the Elcon 2500W was about $140 more and my car is already wired for that. Besides, by nature, I don't think I would spend more time than necessary at any charge station along the way. I can understand the frustrations with "the White Leaf" that camps out in the public space.

Perhaps, in a perfect EV world, we could have a procedure where one could unplug a car that has completed it's charge with a curtesy call to get permission or notify them that his charge has completed. (I have heard that the Leaf has the ability to call the owner and notify them that the charge is complete or that the plug has been pulled.) Maybe that would be a good way to let this Jerk know he is hogging the charging station.

Now, my Ramble is becoming a Rante. Sorry

Steve

6. SteveWlf

SteveWlf Old-on-Hold

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The NFC card is of interest and could save "call up time" to activate the station. I have just signed up with Charge Point and did deposit the token $25 and my CC#. Do you think these free card I will get will be NFC cards? The expected delivery was to be a couple weeks.

I know neither of my Debit cards are NFCs.

Steve

7. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The Chargepoint card is an NFC card. Just tap it on the designated area on the charging station to unlock the handle. You can track your charging status on their Web site (and smartphone app for iOS and Android), or check the availability of a given station.

In most of the rest of the Western world, credit card companies have all gone to NFC, which leads to problems for those of us from the U.S. (and Canada?) who want to use their cards in, say, Europe. Merchants are supposed to be able to accept the old magstripe cards, but apparently one will often run into problems, especially with automatic ticket machines like at train stations that only accept NFC cards, and there is no human to manually accept the magstripe cards.

Chargepoint has joined with several other charging station networks, such as the Blink network, to accept each other's cards at their charging stations.

8. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In the Bay Area, CA. It was EV etiquette to allow disconnecting when the battery is full. People left signs in their windows indicating the courtesy. It's changed since a law was passed that made it illegal to park in an EV spot without being physically connected. I purchased a luggage lock and slipped it into the hole at the release button so that the plug cannot be removed from my car. I know this is contrary to good will but the law has forced me to into this and I will not park there longer than necessary to get a full charge.

You can setup Chargepoint to text message you when you are at full charge or disconnected prematurely. Further, my base PiP doesn't have the feature but I am aware other Plug-ins have a cellular connection and can notify the user of real-time charge status through a smartphone app.

The Chargepoint card is indeed NFC capable. The ATM card my wife uses has the Blink Network symbol on it. BTW, I call it NFC, but I really have no idea what I am talking about. See here. Smart card - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    We here in the US have not embraced this technology as much as the rest of the world, hence, my ignorance and disinterest in learning the correct terms.

9. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you confident of your interpretation of the new law?

My understanding is that if you put a "Ok to UnPlug" sign in your windshield and your car is found parked in an EV spot unplugged, you are not considered to be in violation. That said, if you vehicle is left parked unplugged for an extended period, say more than 2 hours, and someone complains, you might be.

Locking the handle into your car and leaving it locked without actively charging is an EV sin.

10. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I can't understand the fine print of the law. I have to resort to third party sources. Public EV Charging: Think Before You Plug In | PluginCars.com
    But it would be nice if what you say is true.

11. MarkPressey

MarkPressey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm using Chargepoint and use their Iphone App to select the station I'm at, turn the charger on and off and monitor its progress - I don't actually have a Chargepoint NFC card, just an account and the app.

I also use their website from work to let me know when the car is charged (There is a chargepoint station an 8 min walk from my office). The local chargepoint station was set up with two parking spaces per charger and the charger installed so that the cord can extend the full length between the two spaces. I guess that way if someone overstayed, another car could park next to them, restart the charger and still use it (or legitimately claim to be next at a busy station).

12. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    While on the subject, it would be handy to know when the Leaf, Volt, Tesla is fully charged so you can unplug with confidence. I know that chargepoint spells it out, do all the public chargers?