1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Public Service Announcement - Costco has the Garmin Nuvi 350 for $349...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mooney, Mar 15, 2007.

1. mooney

mooney Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Go to www.costco.com, do a search on Nuvi 350.

2. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That is a great price. I have the Nuvi 660 because I needed a bigger screen. Anyone looking for a stand alone GPS I highly recommend the Nuvi Series. One added feature with the Nuvi is that it can fit in your shirt pocket.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not a bad price! Anyone looking for a Garmin, this is your chance.

4. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Mar 16 2007, 01:28 PM) [snapback]406909[/snapback]</div>
    I use a paper map, call me old fashioned. When I'm in an unfamiliar town and feel I need a map, which rarely ever happens by the way, I stop at a grocery store and buy a map there.

Why do people need a computerized map display in their car with them at all times? It's just another gadget to distract you while you're driving. And a waste of money too. You're never going to get so lost that you'll need a GPS map.

There's also mapquest, google maps, etc. Do it at home, print it out and bring it with you in the car. It's free and it works.

Dave

5. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom 6850 @ Mar 16 2007, 11:49 AM) [snapback]406773[/snapback]</div>
    How do you compare it to the 350? I realize the 660 is bigger but do you still find it very portable (fits easily still in your shirt pocket?). Are the features and capabilities mostly the same?

With the price reduction it seems Garmin will soon be phasing out the 350 for the 660.

Rick
    #4 2006

6. chinalfr

chinalfr Junior Member

I got this GPS when it was onsale at Costco.com. This is a very nice GPS when comparing to my old garmin 2610.

7. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ Mar 16 2007, 02:38 PM) [snapback]406922[/snapback]</div>
    The 660 has a few more features, I don't have the comparison with me. The 660 does fit in my shirt pocket even though it is larger. The Garmin Street Pilot series are great also but not as portable. The 660 is already being replaced by newer models with additional features. If you travel overseas you can get SD cards with foreign countries, language conversions, etc. When I travel on vacation or touring I usally wear a travel vest which holds my 660, camera, etc. If Garmin replaces the 350 I would guess that they would keep the same size format.

8. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom 6850 @ Mar 16 2007, 03:14 PM) [snapback]406940[/snapback]</div>
    Lost my internet connection for a while. I don't believe the 350 has bluetooth, the 360 and 370 do. I checked on the newer 600 series and they have a 670 and 680. I find the bluetooth feature nice to have, especially with more and more states requiring handsfree cell phones. I would like to see Toyota upgrade to announcing street names with their version of the GPS. Only for a car or carrying around I would go with the Nuvi 300 series. I hate to admit this on this forum, but I need the larger screen for my motorhome. Lucky to get about 9 MPG!!!

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveLeePrius @ Mar 16 2007, 01:36 PM) [snapback]406920[/snapback]</div>
    I don't use my GPS unit much but I love it. I prefer glancing down at it and its talking to me to holding up a paper map or directions while trying to drive through unfamiliar territory. It works better in the dark, too. Perhaps you are lucky enough to drive with a competant navigator. I am not that fortunate.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveLeePrius @ Mar 16 2007, 11:36 AM) [snapback]406920[/snapback]</div>
    that's true but my GPS has also been a phonebook and that very paper map that I would normally leave in the car and not bring into the restaurant or wherever I happen to be. I can easily check the phone number of any hotel, store or restaurant stored in the GPS. My friend was in the restaurant and said he was gonna take a walk outside to look for an ATM. I told him I can search it up for him and found one 750 metres away.

GPS doesn't work only in unfamiliar territories. I've used it here in my own city. Why? It's not because I don't know my way around it. It's for finding new routes. The GPS says such and such a route is shorter or faster and it may or may not be the route I currently take.

Heck, taking the main route might even be longer b/c of traffic, the no. of lights and so forth but we take it because it's a main road but with a GPS, you can easily take any side road you want and know you're not taking the longer route.

My GPS also gives traffic updates and road conditions. Sure I can check it before I leave but what if I'm not at home? I don't have a laptop so I can't surf with WiFi.

Lastly, mine's been "modified" with programs (because it runs on Linux) so I use it to burn time if I have to wait by playing some games or watching a movie clip.

Oh and mine isn't a Garmin :p

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh.. Garmin has announced several new entry level Nuvi models.. the 200,250 and 270. We'll see which ones we get here.