1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Purchasing a Prius... Need Advice Please

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by chootie, Jul 21, 2014.

?
  1. Option 1- New Prius Two for $24K

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Option 2- Used Prius V for $18K with 30K miles

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Option 3- Used Prius V for $15K with 65K miles & fully loaded

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. chootie

chootie New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    About to purchase a Prius.

Option 1: We found a Blizzard Pearl 2014 Prius Two brand new for just under $24,000

Option 2: A 2010 Blizzard Pearl Prius model V with 30,000 miles. Leather, but no navigation or reverse camera. No solar roof or moonroof. Asking $18,500.

Option 3: A 2010 Blizzard Pearl Prius model V with 65,000 miles. Fully loaded with all options. Some signs of wear due to age and mileage. Asking $15,000.

We really are struggling with the choices. The middle ground is a good compromise, but wife wants the extra options (nav, camera, solar roof, moon roof, etc).

Thanks for any input and advice!

2. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2010's are going to be six model years old in Sept of this year.
    Even the 2014 will be a model year old in Sept too, but it will still get you the $2,500 Fed tax credit which the 2010's won't.
    Just something to think about.....

3. chootie

chootie New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks ny_rob. I've never heard about the $2,500 tax credit for a new Prius. I have heard of a $7,500 for an electric vehicle. I will look into that.

4. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No tax credit on the plain vanilla Prius - only the plug in model has it.

5. chootie

chootie New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thought that was what I found online. Thanks jadziasman.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you are tight for money, go with option 3. If you can afford new, you would have to buy maybe a Prius Four to get the options your wife wants.

7. chukostar

chukostar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've just got a new 2014 three for $22K... Two is around 20k, well, depends on the options you get :)

8. chootie

chootie New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks everyone. We haven't had car payments for years, as our vehicles are 10+ years old. With that said, we aren't comfortable with payments on a $20K plus new car. I believe Option 3 suites us best as the payments are half that of a new one.

New question: What research is needed to buy a used 2010 Prius? Common issues to look for. What to avoid. Any recalls dealt or not dealt with. Etc etc etc.

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No Prius has all the options.

If you have to have the solar roof then you need to find a Three-Solar or a Four-Solar.

If you only have $15000 then go for the V-AT. Does it have the button on the steering wheel to set the following distance for the Radar Cruise Control, the flat Toyota logo on the nose, the camera on the back side of the rear view mirror, the sensor "rivets" on the front bumper cover?

All the above pertain to the upper 49. Hawaii is a special place. Their option packages are unique.

If you are buying from a Toyota dealer all the recalls will be done. If you are buying from a private party it is up to you to have the recalls done, or not.

Register the VIN at Toyota Owners Official Web Site: Service Coupons, Owner's Manuals, Service Scheduling And More to see the dealer service history & applicable recalls.

The first recall was to reflash the Brake ECU because some people didn't like the feel of the brakes. The recent recall also reprograms a computer. Both topics can be found easily and I leave it to each owner to make their own decisions.

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the car has a VIN from Hawaii, it won't show up on the system at Toyota.com. Hawaii is like a foreign country, serviced and sold by Servco

11. trebleclef

trebleclef Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sure did like our 2010 Prius V. It had all the bells and whistles, bluetooth, satelite radio, navigation system, leather, rear view camera, wider wheel base that I-IV, had over 100,000 miles and ran great. It had temp control on the wheel along with radio volume control. Keep up the oil changes and watch wear and tear on the tires, we never regretted buying this vehicle. Happy priusing!