1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Quality solar powered motion sensor lights?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cwerdna, Mar 28, 2015.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm looking for reliable solar powered motion lights (w/battery, of course).

My parents are considering installing the above at the house I live at (they own it) instead of getting hardwired motion sensor lights installed. To install hardwired lights, quote from a good licensed electrician to install 2 of them + change a porch light was ~$735. City permit costs + inspector costs I'd estimate will be another $400.

We figured that even if the solar powered lights are crap, we can keep going through a whole bunch of them before we get to the above $ value. We'll just be out some time to change out failed lights and return them.

Anyone know any reliable ones? Here are some that have fairly high Amazon ratings, but it is troubling to see some of the comments in the 1-star reviews. Unclear if they're all crappy and not well-weatherproofed or not adequately built to handle temperature and humidity cycling or if just unsatisfied folks are more likely to complain.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sunforce 82156 60 LED Solar Motion Light - one guy there has taken extra steps to try to waterproof his lights

- seems better

Perhaps we should just buy Sunforce Products 850 Lumen 60 LED Solar Motion Light 2-pack and if they're crap, return them? At least Costco is pretty good about accepting returns.

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I too would be interested in knowing. I bought one a year ago and crap doesn't cover it. It worked for a couple months until the first heavy rain. Surely they can make one of reasonable quality?

3. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I would deal with Costco in a heartbeat over anything ordered online.
    Both might end up being "crap" but Costco is much easier to deal with.

Whatever you decide to get, test them before you actually mount them and don't throw away the receipt and packing until you are sure.

Some LED products are cheap crap.......and some of not much better quality are WAY overpriced.
    Try for a mid-point and a reputable company.

Stay away from anything that doesn't list the Lumens.
    I got a couple of cheap ones for about $10 each and they have maybe 20 Lumens and are useless.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't even find a quality line voltage motion sensor light. they are either on half the night, or don't turn on until you trip over something as you walk by.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The one I got from Costco works well. It could do with an adjustment of the sensor aiming and sensitivity to be perfect, but there is a dusk 'til dawn nearby that illuminates the walkway to the house. These are issues that happen with any motion sensor light.

I had considered a solar powered one at first, but discounted them, because it seemed likely they wouldn't be bright enough for my install.