1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about Android Head Unit replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by MainahInFL, Aug 12, 2014.

1. MainahInFL

MainahInFL New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm picking up my 2010 Prius III tomorrow and it has the upgraded JBL stereo and head unit. Since it doesn't have a USB input, I'm toying with the idea of replacing the stock JBL head unit with an Android based one that I have seen posted here. My question is, is it able to display the fancy regenerating car information that I imagine the OEM Nav unit does? (I'll fully admit that I'm a noob with all of the Prius capablities per model but am tech savvy overall). It's by no means a deal-breaker, but would just be nice to have the option.

Is it really a "simple" plug and play swap? Just crack open the dash, pull the old one out and plug in the new? What functionality is really lost, if any? I want to be able to keep my steering wheel controls and bluetooth integration, just add Navigation and music via USB or SD Card.

If using Google Maps navigation through the Android head unit, does it have to be connected via wi-fi to the phone to update, etc? How is the basic nav functionality of it?

Thanks in advance for all of the help!

-Mainah

2. Maarten28

Maarten28 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius III does not show regeneration information on the stereo. It only displays that in the little display on top of the dashboard. It's the Prius II that displays the information on the big screen.
    Maybe an Android unit is even beter because you can use it to display information from the Torque app.

3. MainahInFL

MainahInFL New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the info!

So based on experiences overall, any recommendations on an android head unit that won't break the bank? I'd like to spend $400 or less. Links are appreciated!

Since I've got the JBL system, is it really plug and play?

klubber likes this.
  4. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    From what I have been reading, looks like no matter what radio you buy, there will be something that will not completely work completely like the stock radio. It might be radio reception, sound quality, no steering wheel connectivity, rear view not working, overheats easily due to the sun, etc. However, all of the issues seemed to have been addressed by all the people in here who took to time to work it out, but it seemed to include some additional parts, which would cause the price of the unit altogether to be higher than originally thought. For me, I would just have to be willing to put down nearly $700 dollars to insure all that originally worked, will work with the new one. Right now, my tablet works wonderfully with my stock unit and fits right over it with my tablet cover sliding in the CD slot. Maybe in another year of two, one of the manufacturers will come up with a unit that will work all over. At that time, I may just plunk down the money and hope for the best. My respect and good wishes for all of you who have been working out the kinks with these new Android units.