1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about Battery 2004

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mountainpriusCO, Jun 18, 2014.

1. mountainpriusCO

mountainpriusCO New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi I am new here. I am driving a 2004 prius with 200,500 miles. I recently moved to Denver and have had some issues with my car (never had any before). I was in the mountains one day, and we decided that I must not have turned my car off all the way but it was not staying in drive and I realized the battery was down to 1/2 lines in the light purple. I did drive it and the battery eventually charged again and it was fine. Fast forward about three weeks and I was driving on the highway yesterday about fifteen minutes into my drive and noticed the car was driving funny and the battery was at 2/3 lines. I am not sure if it was down the entire time I was driving I didn't look until that point. I'm also not sure if it was driving weird from the get go and it took awhile for me to really notice or of it just started to act weird during my drive. This morning I drove it and the battery was over half charged, it was getting lower than makes me comfortable but the car seemed to be doing fine. I just now made a three mile (ish) trip and the battery went from over half charged down to two charge lines in the light purple and didn't seem to be charging itself back up. I was nervous to turn the car back off with the battery that low but it didn't seem to be charging the battery back up in park so I did turn it off. Do you think my battery is going bad? Is there a way I can be driving it differently that I should be? I am in mountains a lot more than I was before these issues happened and I drive a lot around 40 mph in traffic and think I am using the battery a lot more/in different ways. Could that be affecting it? I'm trying not to get paranoid about it but am not sure what to do right now. I'm hoping someone has had a similar situation or has advice for how I can keep this from happening.

I do usually just hit the off button instead of putting the car into park first. Could that be an issue?

Thanks

2. mountainpriusCO

mountainpriusCO New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also want to mention that I have not gotten any warning codes or anything of the sort.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There shouldn't be any problems shutting down the car when the battery soc is in the purple area. I do it all the time. It'll charge back up when you start driving. When you are not moving, the car still uses the hv battery if you are in Ready mode but often times it will not charge the battery beyond the purple bars into blue.

Your car is 10 years old so it may not be operating in peak performance, you may need a new battery in the near future. But unless a warning light comes up, just keep driving it.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you just get the car? the battery thing is normal for anyone who has owned a prius for awhile. the shifter problem could be a weak 12v or bad shifter.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...keep in mind a decent batt shop in CO...Boulder Hybrid Conversions