1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about Fuelly???

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Shaka808, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Shaka808

Shaka808 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I apologize in advance if there is already a thread on this, I did a search and couldnt find anything. I have a 2014 Prius Three and also use Fuelly to calculate mileage. On my last tank before fillup my Prius display registered 57.3 mpg. After I entered my fuel up data into Fuelly it displayed last mpg 52.9.

Does anyone know why there is such a large discrepancy between Fuelly and the Prius display?

walter Lee likes this.
  2. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Calculated mileage is relatively accurate. The computer in the car is really just a guess based on fuel flow and other factors that add up to a lot of imprecision.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Gen 3 Prius computer seems consistently high, about 5%

4. kensiko

kensiko Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    II
  5. SudeepHArya

SudeepHArya Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Odd my fuelly is surprisingly higher then my Prius 2014 PIP. I was shocked but Fuelly is telling me I am getting bout 10% more then my PIP. That is why I came here to see if Fuelly was accurate or not. Your seeing it the other way so I am not sure what to believe.

6. stoby9

stoby9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    To test if Fuelly is correct simply take the # of miles you drove and divide that by the # of gallons you just refueled. That is all Fuelly does.

If you accidentally entered 7.8 gallons instead of 8.7 (or something like that) then Fuelly will be off, but that would be your error. Also, if the pump shut off earlier than normal you could have a bad result because you did not actually fill the tank, but that type of error will resolve itself over the course of a few fill-ups.

7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No one is questioning the accuracy of the calculation of mpg.

They are speculating whether falsely elevated numbers are being entered into the site to boost certain vehicle's mpg numbers. Hence the use of the term "ringers".

SCH-I535

8. stoby9

stoby9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't see any reference to the term "ringers" in this thread, but I'll believe you since it's better than thinking that the concept of how Fuelly calculates MPG is such a mystifying subject. ;)

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  10. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As others have stated, the Gen III Prius is over reporting approximately 4 to 5% of the true actual MPG.

But what is really important is the gallons you use rather than the MPG.

Example 1: 20 MPG Car travelled 100 miles used 5 gallons of fuel. 50 MPG car travelled 100 miles used two gallons of fuel

Example 2: 20 MPG Car travelled 100 miles used 5 gallons of fuel 60 MPG car travelled 100 miles used 1.67 gallons of fuel.

Example 3: 20 MPG Car travelled 100 miles used 5 gallons of fuel. 75 MPG car travelled 100 miles used 1.33 gallons of fuel.

The less fuel we burn benefits all of us except for big oil. Less oil being converted to gasoline. Less money being spent on fuel. Those are just two of the many benefits.

Remember it is not just the MPG that is important, but also how many gallons you use over time.

Ron (dorunron)

11. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

The Prius HSI display estimated MPG is only an estimate of your fuel efficiency
    The Prius HSI display estimated MPG is consistently optimistic by about 3 mpg
    Fuelly calculates your real world MPG when you fill up.

12. neez

neez Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My prius display is about 4% higher than actual. The display on cars is based on the fuel injection duty cycle data, so it's not entirely accurate by 4% is pretty good.