1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about headlights (Condensation Issue)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by GasSaver1, Sep 3, 2012.

1. GasSaver1

GasSaver1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a 2008 with 60k miles on it. After washing the car yesterday I noticed that on the right head light, there was quite a number of water drops (condensation) built up on the inside of the lens in front of the main HID bulb section but the upper turn signal section was fine.

I researched the issue here and learned about the TSB I no longer qualified for and also wartched video of how it is possible to remvoe the bulb without removing the head light assembly. My plan today was to remove the bulb and let it all dry out. I am not entirely sure if this happened as a result of yesterday's activities or the 4 days or non-stop rain while Isaac passed over.

Anyway, when I went out there this morning, the assembly is totally dry. I guess that over the course of the day, the water evaporated and left the same way it got in. My question is where is the likely source? I would much rather reseal the source than change the wntire assembly. I could not find any information on what was actually failing with the TSB to cause the issue and no information on if the replacement headlights have been "fixed" or if the problem would come back again if I pay the dealership to change everything.

Because of the location of the water, I suspect the leak may be the bulb area but I am no expert. If it is the bulb area, would changing the black circular plastic cover on the back of the headlight do the trick? The part that on one side has the silver HID connector and on the other side has the end the plugs into the main harness? I know there is a rubber O-ring that goes around the cover where it makes contact with the car.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I edited your title so hopefully people won't think it's a headlight mod question because it's actually a troubleshooting question.

3. GasSaver1

GasSaver1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks! I was wondering why I didnt attract any bites!

4. GasSaver1

GasSaver1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    On a related note- I also noticed that my side parking bulb on the right headlight is not coming on but as as I drove to get a replacement it started working again and I could not get it to fail again. It was raining and I went out to see if any water was building up on the lens (which it was not) that is when I discovered this. I wonder if moisture is building up and causing the bulb to lose contact. ...?

5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I can't/won't say it is a defect or anything like that. I too am no expert. I see the same thing on our '09 after washing it or early in the morning if there is a heavy amount of dew. I believe it is simple condensation and is caused by temperature variation and high humidity rates. Like yours, ours too dries out quickly.

Concerning the parking light/trim light bulb. I think it is simply that the bulb is getting old and needs to be replaced. I had to change the left hand side bulb on our car. It takes a 5 Watt Wedge Type Bulb. You can get them at your favorite auto parts store. IIRC, it is the same bulb that is used in the tail light also. Those bulbs have a tendency to go out over time. When they first start acting up, the light will be off when you first turn on the lights, then if you slap it or bump it/wiggle the wires the bulb will light. Generally, replacing the bulb solves the problem. You may find the socket is tight, just be patient with it. Turn it counter clockwise (looking from back of car to front) 1/4 turn, then you can pull the socket and bulb out of the headlight. Then simply pull the bulb straight out of the socket and push a new bulb back in the socket. After that, put the socket back into the headlight and turn it 1/4 turn clockwise until it locks in place. Compare the position of the bulb base with the other side, so you will know when you are putting it back in correctly. It is a tight fit, just take your time and be patient.

Good luck to you.

Ron

6. lynnb

lynnb New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have had moisture inside the lenses of both headlights of my 2008 Prius. I noticed there is an extension of warranty for light replacement; however, it is clear that Toyota does not want to address the cause of burnout.
    Has your moisture reoccurred or do you have a fix other than replacing the entire set up?
    Lynn B