1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

question about hills

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Spooled, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Spooled

Spooled Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Been driving Uber in San Francisco, there are very steep hills and sometimes I have myself and 4 pass in the car, I dont like the way the car feels when i have to accelerate from a stop going uphill that heavy...are there clutches that can burn out in this trans?

any recommended driving technique to reduce wear?

TIA

2. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There are no clutches in the drivetrain. Car is heavy and engine is small = slow acceleration. There is nothing you can do about it. Just drive (but if you want to make it easier for the car, dont put pedal to the metal :)).

- Alex (2005 + 2010 Prii)

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Fully loaded, hard acceleration up a steep hill is a tall order for a car, strains it to it's limits. The two things you can do, and likely don't want to hear, as a cab: accelerate slower, and aim for a lower top speed.

4. Spooled

Spooled Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    so because of how steep the hill is and the weight the car will roll back until judicious amounts of throttle are applied

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't worry about your transmission.

And you are driving a Gen 3, so "Power Mode" might lessen the symptoms of the fact that you aren't driving the most powerful vehicle in the world.

6. Spooled

Spooled Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    But I am worried about it, i would like to not worry so i started this thead, if you could give me a reason not to worry that d be great ok thanks

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    No clutches, no torque converter. Nothing you have to worry about burning out. The inverter is liquid cooled and won't overheat unless that liquid cooling is interrupted. Just step on it. All that will happen that is "a problem" is your mileage will drop. Do remember, when backing up ALL power is from MG2, ie electric drive and limited in power by the size of MG2 and battery and inverter current limiting. So backing up one of those San Fran hills can be "interesting". ;)

alekska likes this.
  8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    By all reports, The Prius's HSD, planetary gear based transmission is a hearty animal.

Your driving environment and conditions are what they are.

I wouldn't worry any more or less about driving The Prius in those conditions, than I would any other 4 cylinder powered vehicle.

That is, I wouldn't expect V8 engine torque and acceleration.

Passing in a Prius up a steep incline while transporting up to 4 people? What do you expect?

If this is routinely and repeatedly going to be your driving conditions, and you are unable to accept the fact that you are driving a 4 cylinder engined hybrid? Which simply is NOT going to be the fastest or most powerful vehicle given those parameters? Then perhaps a change in vehicles is in order.

If your question is Should I worry? My answer is no.
    If your question is any driving techniques?

Perhaps choosing Power Mode in those conditions would change the feel a bit. Even though you are still dealing with the same HSD system as before, just a differently mapped accelerator pedal.

9. PriusInParadise

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you familiar with "hill start assist"? This feature will hold the brake for approx 2 seconds after releasing the brake pedal, or until you depress the accelerator pedal.
    To engage it, while at a complete stop, firmly depress the brake pedal until a single beep is heard and the slip indicator light (amber squiggly lines) begins to flash. You can ease up on the brake pedal to normal pressure until you are ready to move. After releasing the brake pedal, the hydraulic pressure in the brakes will be maintained for up to 2 seconds or until you depress the accelerator pedal. There will be two beeps when the system disengages.

SystemJinx and GrumpyCabbie like this.
  10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I too have a Prius work car, but unlike you, I don't pay a dime for it and I drive it like I stole it.
    I haven't broken mine so far in 73,000 miles and I use the accelerator like an ON/OFF switch.

The transmission in this car is fairly robust, and even though it seems to struggle to lug 4 pax up a steep hill, you're not hurting anything but your pride.
    You are NOT going to hurt this transmission even if you try to put it into park at 30-mph.

(Spoiler Alert!!)
    (Spoiler Alert!!)
    In addition to no clutch and no TC......there's no linkage. The car won't let you shift into park at 30-mph!

U worry about navigation and collision avoidance.
    Toyota has your back on the drivetrain! ;)

kenichols29 likes this.
  11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    probably already answered, but, set the Hill Start Assist by pushing brake harder while in Drive, then apply gas.

12. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Which is in the manual along with other intriguing and unusual facts about the car. :censored:

I know most people never read them but other than showing you the bleeding obvious like where your horn is, they also have model specific details such as how Hill Start Assist operates.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Substitute yourself for the car, say walking, or riding a bicycle. Level roads are relatively smooth sailing. But if you're constantly ascending steep hills, you're going to to be puffing and wheezing. It requires more effort, and has more impact. To say it doesn't is dilusional.

Slower acceleration and lower speed plateau will mitigate the the extra load. In other words: take it easy on the hills.

But odds are a car driven often in hilly conditions will have troubles sooner.

14. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No clutches, but there is a torque-limiter. If that starts slipping, you will have problems, but don't worry, taxi companies are buying up Priuses everywhere, because they are the most fuel-efficient and trouble-free car they can buy. If they aren't having trouble hauling people on hills, no one is.

15. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Treat your prius to a fresh transmission fluid drain/refill, delicious premium gas from Shell or Chevron, tire rotation, and car wash. :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

16. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have more faith in Toyota products to exceed operating specs than any other automaker. If I were driving Uber, there's no other vehicle I'd want.