1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question about recalls and brake software before first maintenance

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by allen_gamble, May 20, 2012.

1. allen_gamble

allen_gamble Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I own an 05 Prius that I bought used about a year ago and it just passed the 90k mile mark. I've done nothing but get the oil and tires changed in this past year, and my dealer provides free maintenance the first time around so I plan on taking advantage of that this week.

My question is how do I know if the vehicle has been maintained in such a way that it complies with all recalls? Is there a record on the cars computer or in some centralized database? I absolutely hate the brakes (and traction control). I understand that this is not a sports car so I can't expect it to handle like one, but I want to ensure that it is as safe as possible and has the latest software. I sdo understand it was recalled for some kind of an issue with the waterpump, so that will be dealt with, but the lag/delay between brake pedal push/application and actual brake activation is my main concern.

Have the brakes and traction control improved in the newer models?

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Welcome allen. As cwerdna said, registering your VIN there will bring up the dealer service history & applicable recalls. It's your choice whether or not you want them done.

Do you really want them cutting down your pedal because someone left or put a SUV's mat in a Lexus?

Traction Control was modified for 2006. As I remember there was an ECU reflash available for 2005.

I'm not sure the inverter pump recall goes back to 2005.

"The lag/delay between brake pedal push/application and actual brake activation is my main concern." Press the brake & the car stops. If you want only friction braking then you bought the wrong car.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...ump-dealer-letter-technical-instructions.html has the details on the inverter pump "recall".

The OP may not have a choice about the accelerator being trimmed. Mine was trimmed for me when I brought my car in for service. I wasn't asked beforehand and was only told after the fact. I have no issue w/the trimming there's the change hasn't bothered me at all or changed the feel of the pedal (to me) at all.