1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Question regarding consumption screen

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by KelliLynn, Nov 8, 2013.

1. KelliLynn

KelliLynn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Newbie here!

Just purchased a 2005 with 75,000 miles on it (hope I'm not taking a big risk, but the car came with great maintenance history!). How much should I pay attention to the mpg consumption - is it normal for it to change frequently as I am driving (jumps from 12 to 20 to 99, etc.)? My average mpg getting to work today was 40 (with heat on and it was about 34 degrees outside).

2. haole man

haole man Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perfectly normal. As you accelerate the mpg goes down; coast or brake and it goes up.

3. HeyItsSolomon

HeyItsSolomon New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, I'm new to this too, but it seems like even with consistent driving habits, your mpg would vary, depending on the variable factors you mentioned as well as other stuff like how much of a charge the battery is holding. I don't remember where I read it, but it seems like the more sensible way to gauge your efficiency is by looking at your mpg over the course of a week or a month or a fill-up. I noticed a lot of people have Fuelly banners in their signatures, so I checked it out and signed up, and that appears to be a good way to help you assess what your true mpg numbers are like.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! you'll notice that as you put more miles on a tank of gas, the average mpg's will stop changing as much and settle in. all the best!

5. Baldbubba

Baldbubba Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    best advice i ever got bout this car was JUST DRIVE IT! the on board computer will take care of it,, if mileage gets crappy most of the time it is the 12v battery,