1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questions about some of the TERMS used and other PHEV info.

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by philwojo, Jan 31, 2011.

1. philwojo

philwojo Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok, I haven't been on priuschat in a while, and I am trying to play catch-up. I am mildly interesting in one of the PHEV options, but want to make sure I understand things correctly.

I see a lot of terms thrown around, and I am a bit confused, and more so the more I read.

I see EV mode, which I think stands for Electric Vehicle mode, or essentially battery only mode on a standard Prius GEN-2.

I then see Hybrid mode, which I think is the standard operation of the Gen-2 Prius, nothing new on either of those 2.

I then see blended mode, not sure what that is to be honest.

I also see other terms out there, but I am really getting them all confused in my head to be honest.

I don't do a lot of "city" driving, I'd say most of my driving is highway driving. My daily commute is 30 miles round trip, and of that (home-work) all but about 6 miles is highway. The other 6 is all speed limits over 40MPH.

I guess I am really wondering if an Enginer kit would be a viable option for my use? I live near Chicago, so it gets cold here. I am averaging about 40-43MPG in the winter and about 50-52MPG in the summer.

Would a Hymotion kit, or any other type of kit be a better option?

I am not looking to make my car and electric vehicle, I know that is not what I would get with any of these kits. I am wondering what kind of improvements I would see with the available kits, and if they are worth my time and money. I have to say I am not going to be drastically changing my driving habits for any of these kits. So that may be a reason to not even do it. But like I said the more I read on these threads, the more I get confused to be honest. I just want to get a better idea of if this is even a good idea for me to look in to further or not.

thanks,
    Phil

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Phil,
    Lots of good questions. I don't have time for a full reply on the forum, but could spend some time talking with you on the phone if you like.

Call me at 608-729-4082, or pm your info and a time to call and I'll give you a ring.

Basically, cold weather does affect all PHEV systems as well as batteries in general.

You say you mostly do highway driving. Ar you talking 55mph or less?
    Or are you mostly above 55mph?

As of tomorrow, you will not be able to buy and Enginer kit online, and will need to go through an Enginer dealer.

Each option has its pluses and minuses.
    PICC
    Plug In Supply
    Hymotion
    Enginer
    hombrew kit.

I am the first to say that you will not "make your money back" on any of the systems. So if that is the only reason you are buying one I would say you shouldn't get one.

3. philwojo

philwojo Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Eric, thanks for the reply, I will PM you and let you know when I can talk or just give you a call when I can.

If anyone else wants to chime in I'm always looking for opinions.

I did think of a few more questions as well.

1. If I got with a kit like the Enginer Kit, and I drive farther than it can hold a charge is that bad? Like if I take a day trip on a 4+ hour drive or more round trip, is there a way to turn it off so I don't "hurt" the cells?

2. For the type of driving I do, which is mostly highway and usually 60-65MPH is one kit better than the other?

3. I understand it won't pay me back, but that is not what I'm looking for. I also probably don't want to dump $10K+ on this type of system now. My car has about 72K miles on it, is this not a good idea with those kinds of miles and the age of my car (2006)?

Thanks,
    Phil

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think for the type of driving you do, you're better off not changing anything. these kits are all just prius on steroids. you get more electric driving or more 'blended' in other words more electric assist to engine. the end result is they up your mpg, even when considering the plug in electricity used. but i don't think any of them is ideally suited for mostly highway driving.

5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. You won't harm it by driving farther than its range. All the kits can be shut off.
    2. At 60-65 mph you will see less benefit no matter which kit you chose, than say if you had a 55mph, or leisurely 45mph commute on side roads
    3) The age of the car is not so important. I've seen them put in cars with less than 20K and some with more than 175K.

6. pbui

pbui Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would get the Enginer 4kwh kit, especially if you can charge at work since your one-way commute is only 15miles. The bang for the buck is quite good; but keep your expectation in check: it is an assist kit. I don't know if Jack will still be selling on eBay, he was asking around $2500. But ultimately you will use less dino juice.

1. On long trip, the kit is just dead weight, like an extra passenger. We regularly take long trip and just keep the enginer kit off, from the start. I think it's better for the battery to keep them charged. Also, you are carry a little bit of extra energy.

2. Enginer kit does not improve mpg significantly at highway speed; but it does help, 60+mpg. The other kits perform better, but cost way more.

3. Mileage is not a problem, also keep in mind that the kit can be installed in another hybrid (Ford escape, Honda Insight ...)

....and you'll have fun