1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questions about the 06 Diagnostic Screen

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by windstrings, Feb 19, 2006.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here is a procedure I copied from another post of which someone was nice enough to share. I'm sure he will speak up if he wants his name advertized..... I'll let him have the pleasure.

Keep in mind, I'm sure this is not mean't for the normal public and I would recommend not changing anything you are not comfortable with. Viewing is one thing, but monkeying around may be at your own risk.

I found an error with my Nav and I'm sure it was because I was playing around with trying to get the disk out... I did so, tried to copy it unsuccessfully several times because even though I burnt the disks just fine, it wouldn't read them. I was able to clear the error code and did a recheck and now it checks out ok.

I was also able to find the elusive audio level indicators we have been looking for for so long and although you can test and even record yourself and play it back, I didn't find a sensitivity setting per se to adjust.

I also notice a cool procedure to back up all your nav settings, and restore them back if ever needed, but you need some kinda "tool".. if you don't have it, it gives you an error saying... hey you don't have the tool!

There is alot to look at and I'm not sure what all I'm seeing and what good someone can do with it.

You can see gps figures, coordinates, settings etc and it looks like if you tried hard enough, you could probrably screw something up without too much trouble.. so I didn't tinker with any of that.

You can also look at battery voltages as well as many other items.

Here are the instructions on how to access the screen:
    As follows: Power up (if not already up),Push display and hold, turn headlights on and off completely, three times.

A display screen will then come up, hit display (on the screen), hit menu, According to the person who shared this info, You can also drive with the screen in this mode, you will not have access to the other info. In order to get rid of this display you have to power down.

If needed, this also works in Accessory mode too.

2. jdjeep98

jdjeep98 New Member

windstrings,
    You can do it without the lights, too. You press display - the pop-up and pop-down display controls come in. You then press the area just below the pop-down on the left side then you press the area just above the pop-up (upper left then lower left of what still shows of the original screen) twice (I think) and the same menu comes up.
    Does that make sense?

3. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I know there was a sequence similiar to that that the 05 and older would respond to... but I don't know about the 06.

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think you may be thinking of the Nav Diagnostic Screens. These are general diagnostic screens and are available to 06. The Display sequence is very similar to the one described but is available through the Nav buttons and the Volume control for the Nav Voice. You can get at the general diagnostic screens and do as much damage as you wish or just look at things. The Tool referred to is probably the THHS (Toyota Hand Held Scanner) that is used to modify system setting among general diagnostic, reprogramming the systems.

5. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Aha!.... your're right, it does work on the 06!.. but its three times.

hit the display button and let go, "either in acc. or ready mode" and touch the bar in the upper left "just below the top bar and then the lower left "just above the lower bar". Do this in succession 3 times and walla!.. there it is!

6. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I might was well ammend this thread.... I have found still another way to get in, plus another screen. This is mentioned on another thread that has just been created http://priuschat.com/hacking-the-prius-t16400.html , but since I didn't have that info I'm adding it here too:

There are three procedures I know of for looking at the Multi-Display.:

1. hit the display button and let go, "either in acc. or ready mode" and touch the bar in the upper left "just below the top bar and then the lower left "just above the lower bar". Do this in succession 3 times and walla!.. there it is!

2. There is also a procedure as follows:
    Power up (if not already up),Push display and hold, turn headlights on and off completely, three times.

A display screen will then come up, hit display (on the screen), hit menu, You can also drive with the screen in this mode, you will not have access to the other info. In order to get rid of this display you have to power down.

3. press the upper left and right portions of the screen to get into "diagnosis check I"

and when you go into the main "diagnosis menu" press the upper left followed by the lower right corners of the screen to get into the "product diagnosis" screen.

*Note, If needed, this also works in Accessory mode too.

7. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good to have all this clarified, I cannot take credit for your first proceedure as I learned it from somebody else. But I have been wondering for a year now what THHS stood for........now I know. Windstrings, I guess I can't sue you for patent infringement!!!

8. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A less drastic way to get back to the normal screen is hold down
    "display" for three or five seconds, I don't remember exactly now,
    but it appears to restart the MFD without powering down the
    whole car.
    _H*

9. infohwyguy

infohwyguy New Member

This "Product Diagnosis" screen looks very promising, since it evidently allows overwriting the EEPROM for the Nav and other subsystems. Hopefully someone will be able to get a hold of the EEPROM memory map for the 06. I would guess there is a bit, byte or word in the EEPROM that could be re-written to enable use of the Nav features while the vehicle is in motion.

Many of us have complained about Toyota's decision to disable access to certain features of the Nav system while the vehicle is in motion. Patching the right word in the EEPROM would provide a clean and permanent solution to one of the most bothersome limitations of this system.

Rick S

10. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    yea, I knew you didn't mind me reposting it.. I just didn't want to take over the other thread.... my mind works in such rabbit trails, its easy for me to do that if I"m not careful!