1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Questions driving in the mountains

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by MPGnutcase, Sep 10, 2014.

1. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    OK --- so in the mountains how does the P preform up and coming down do I use the B mode going down or not? Any hints here please

2. maurices

maurices Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Exactly. I used the Power mode on climbs and used the B for braking going down long grades. This saves on the brakes not letting them get over heated. Heat causes premature brake pad wear and can warp the brake rotors.

3. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I agree with the procedure Maurices uses.

4. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The power mode doesn't give you any more power. It just determines how far you have to press the accelerator to get the desired power. So it may "feel" better but that's about all. B mode going down is good once the battery is charged however if you had a PiP it would be a whole different story:)

5. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I still feel the car is much quicker in the power mode. The damn thing is quick off the line as well. I cannot make it fast in eco, it's a dog!!!. H

MPGnutcase likes this.
  6. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, it may feel better. However there are lots of threads where it is made clear that all the Power Mode does is remap the accelerator profile so less push gives more acceleration but full push is the same. Or there could be a problem with your Prius.

7. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's funny how remap of the peddle makes it so slow. I guess my legs are not long enough. Damn thing almost feels like a sports car in power mode. Guess I will have to dig the stop watch up. I bet it will be slower in the quarter mile. Has it been tested at the track? H

8. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I found out that when driving in the mountains that on downgrades as soon as the battery SOC reached 80% the engine braking would kick in automatically without me having to select B mode with the shifter.

9. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mine does this as well. My gen 2 does not do this ever. H

10. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Correct, B mode just allows keeping the friction brakes cooler before the battery fills. I recommend it on any descent over 600 feet tall. (2500 feet in a PIP)

B mode just allows you to know in advance you are going down a big hill, the computer only learns it once the battery 'fills'.

#10 JimboPalmer, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  11. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It does make it quicker off the line.

12. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Jimbo, I agree. I was playing around with trying to control vehicle speed on downgrades. Of course until the battery fills at 80% the regen braking will do a good job of maintaining speed. Engine braking cannot control the speed on long or steep downgrades so you will have to use friction braking at some point.

I have not done enough mountain driving to determine the best combinations but will be interested in other's observations.

13. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What friction brakes ;) In the PiP when I did the maximum regeneration of 150 Wh per minute for 4 minutes using modest braking at around 50 mph the friction brakes never came on. I don't see how the altitude change in feet would make any difference at all until the battery is full. The percent grade is a different matter. If you need to go slower because the maximum regeneration rate doesn't hold you back enough, then friction braking is needed. Except (?) the ICE would do braking first.

#13 CaliforniaBear, Sep 11, 2014
  14. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    When you are going down a hill you can tell if you are "riding" your brakes and before or when you reach that point, put it in B mode.

15. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not in the PiP. Its appropriately "riding" the brakes that charges the battery and gives you those free miles for later use.

16. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I don't have a PIP so I am totally ignorant as to how they work so I know you are right on your comments.

17. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I did mention it took a LOT taller hill. If we could ignore rolling resistance and air resistance, and we can't, then for a given height, all slope angles have the same potential energy. Potential energy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

18. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Sorry guys, I did not realize this conversation was about PIP's. I should not have made any comments. I'm out of here

19. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Its the slope (grade percentage) that requires the brakes. If the slope is steep enough friction brakes may be required in addition to regeneration braking (adsorbing potential energy) and ICE braking. If the altitude change is greater than required to charge the battery (more potential energy than can be used) then we just have ICE braking and friction braking. At that point ICE braking may, or may not, be sufficient depending on the grade percentage.

Section 3-5 Potential Energy, Physics for Science and Engineering Students, The Blakiston Company, 1952 :)

#19 CaliforniaBear, Sep 11, 2014
  20. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Okinawa,

The OP has a Gen III, I have a Gen III and this thread is in the Gen III forum so do not feel bad. We just have some PiP users adding input to the conversation :)