1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

questions on 2011 Prius 3 (first time owner)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by prince, Aug 31, 2014.

1. prince

prince Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello everyone!

I am looking to purchase my very first Prius. The info says it's a 2011 Prius 3 with upgraded leather but I'm a bit confused. I didn't think Prius 3's from 2011 came with leather. It also doesn't have a touch screen so no nav or back up camera. Is this really a Prius 3?

Thank you in advance :)

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The leather is probably a dealer or port installed option.

prince likes this.
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well they do say-with "upgraded" leather, which I would denote to mean it is a Prius 3, that has been upgraded with leather. And yes, not from the factory.

prince likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you need to find the specs for the 3 to see what it has. i think there are listings here somewhere. perhaps the vin and toyota owners website?

prince likes this.
  5. prince

prince Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you everyone!

I was thinking it may be a dealer upgrade but it is still suspicious to me why it just would not say the trim anywhere but where I'm buying it from on Carvana:

2011 Toyota Prius III w/ Leather upgrade for Sale | Carvana® | 2000002589

I tried going to the owners website and looking it up that way (thanks bisco!) but it just says 2011 Prius but not which trim.

Here is the VIN if anyone could help further:

JTDKN3DU6B1352876

Thank you again! :)

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just looked at the ad. Did not check the VIN at Toyota Owner's Website. You might want to read the following string. It seems to discuss the different trim levels of the 2011 Prius. That might give you a better idea of exactly what you are looking at.

2011 Prius II vs III vs IV (trim levels) - need help | PriusChat

Best of luck to you,
    Ron

prince likes this.
  7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe with the possible exception of the Prius Persona line, and I believe there was an available "Sports Package" years back, Toyota really resists badging any trim levels on The Prius.

As an owner of The Prius II, which is pretty much the entry level Prius, I kind of appreciate that Toyota doesn't badge upgrades. But it can cause worry or confusion when somebody is buying a used Prius, with potentially after factory or after market upgrades.

prince likes this.
  8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can run the VIN number by your insurance company/agent. They can tell you exactly what trim level and options were factory installed from the VIN number. That's how they set their rates. ;)

SCH-I535

prince likes this.
  9. prince

prince Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks everyone!

I followed that thread and was thinking of PM'ing that guy who offered to verify the leather for the OP but it seems he hasn't been seen since 2012.

I will try contacting my insurance agent. Will have to wait till Tuesday due to the holiday even though the impatient me wants to know now, lol.

10. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The owner might have upgraded the seats himself with Classio leather seat covers. That was very popular with the early gen 3 owners, but I understand Classio has since gone out of business.

11. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's Clazzio seatcovers. ;)

Or Katzkins reupholstered seats.

SCH-I535

12. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
  13. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the correction - Clazzio. Anyway, are you sure they still offer them for Prius G3s? If so, then maybe the OP has those covers.

14. prince

prince Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the investigative work guys! :) Per the ad it appears to be some sort of leather upgrade if not at the factory then at the port. Looking at the experion report it appears it was used as a fleet vehicle so I'm doubting they bothered with the seat covers but opted for leather from the initial purchase. The ad just says "leather interior" and doesn't specify seat covers or anything. Looking at the vehicle pics in the ad they don't appear to be seat covers either?

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good seat covers look original. you can find threads and pics here. be wary of a fleet vehicle, they tend to be lower package rather than higher.

16. prince

prince Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks bisco! That's what I was worried about too and want to confirm it's actually a Prius Three. The leather is throwing me off :/ I'll see it in person on Wednesday so I'll analyze a bit more closely then.

17. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If it is a fleet vehicle, be prepared to make repairs down the road. The last Prius we had was a used "fleet" vehicle. I had to do work that is normally not done on a Prius with the amount of miles that were on her. Example: Replaced front rotors and pads at 53,000 miles. Normally, the pads and rotors will last a good 100,000 miles for most Prius drivers. Also found the lower splash guards had been ripped off of the car. Later on caught a stone and damaged the coil up front for the A/C. Had to pay for that repair too. Cost over $1600 at the dealer. Make sure you look closely at the car and also know what is should look like before you see the one you are interested in.

prince likes this.
  18. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    In 2011 a Prius 3 could be had with and without Nav. but all 3's had a JVC sound system, while the 11 Prius 2 did not. So if this "3" has a JVC sound system, it is a 3 without nav.

phoenixgreg and prince like this.
  19. JeffHastings

JeffHastings Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like it; my local dealer, Toyota of Morristown (NJ) offered dealer installed leather in 2011 and I could've had it (and other interior upgrades) on my Two but passed because I didn't want to spend the extra money.

prince likes this.
  20. prince

prince Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    dorun - I'm hoping since I'm buying from carvana that they take care of all those issues beforehand but if I do find anything, I have a 100 day warranty with them.

munpot - Not sure if I can tell from the ad if it has a JVC sound system or not but it has JBL speakers. I do know it doesn't come with nav or a touch screen of any sort. That's not that big of a deal to me as much as not having a back up camera.

Jeff - I was just trying to get the most affordable Prius I could get due to a long work commute. The leather is a bonus and don't really need the other features. Just curious if it's actually a Three or not but it seems from the posts here that it more than likely is. Hopefully my insurance guy can confirm on Tuesday.