1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Quick Scangauge II ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by littlehandegan, Oct 15, 2014.

1. littlehandegan

littlehandegan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    When ordering the Scangauge II, I see some people mentioning programming for X-Gauge stuff.

If I want my scan gauge primarily to read OBD fault codes (EX p0a

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What's your question? If you want to read codes and don't care about the gauges, you can get an OBDII reader or a TIS techstream cable and software off eBay or Amazon and connect with a laptop. Both are very under $30 vs $100+ for the scangauge. You can also get the less expensive scangauge e that will read codes as well.

SCH-I535

3. littlehandegan

littlehandegan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I am asking if out of the box the Scangauge 2 will read our obd2 codes?

4. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes but scangauge isn’t best thing to read fault codes. X-gauges and scangauge itself is mostly used and best when used as extra gauges and better trip computer.

5. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes OTB SG2 reads codes. And it provides a lot of other functionality without the need for xgauge.

I have my SG2 permanently mounted below my center dash (below the stereo and below the flip out compartment). It allows you to configure from a number of OOTB gauges with one in each corner. I have mine showing water temperature (so I know when my Prius is capable of phase 4), 12V battery charge ( i had some 12v issues for a little while that left me skittish and watching it), current MPG and trip MPG.

As for code reading, it has been a lifesaver during my tumultuous HV battery failures (2 now). Being able to quickly read and clear codes can prevent your prius from going into limp mode.

6. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh wait.. i take it back. I changed the 12v gauge and now it shows RPMs of the ice.