1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Quick - What's your MPG read right now?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by vintagebob, Jun 25, 2004.

1. TCD

TCD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    234 miles on tank = 50.4 (2,436 total miles)

Reno, NV in the 90's

I have averaged in this range from day one. I also have not had any fill-up problems; averaging around 9.6 per fill before any low gas signal.

I'm not obsessing on this MPG issue, I love the car! No mod's I just drive it.

2. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I think the warm temps really help but my tank is also obviously different from yours. My last bar starts flashing with about 9.8 gallons expended based on the math. I reset a trip meter there and have gone 110 miles past that but only pushed it that far the one time. I usually take my computer mileage and multiply by 11 and get gas soon after that. That tends to be somehthing over 600 miles. I do believe that other cars simply won't do that due to what I believe is a poorly assembled bladder inside the tank or in some cases cold temperatures? My experience is my experience though. As far as overfilling goes. I have put in 1.5 gallons past click off one time and did the slowly filling to the top routine. I have not spilled any gas. Since testing what she would do I just fill about a half gallon past the click off now for what I know from experience to be a 12 gallon fill in this car. Others can test and judge for themselves.

Again, I value your input on a regular basis and I don't wish to argue with you but I do want to clearly share my experience with the car. If I run out of gas or experince any difficulties I will let you know. Thanks again.
    Ray

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    About 150 mi at 52 screen mpg. 2001 Prius operated at about 80 o F in southern California. Where it seems that all the air has already been used a few times, before it gets to you.

DAS

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Absolutely. I in no way intended to dispairage your remarks, and clearly you've gotten comfortable with the range/tank issue. I guess I view this sort of my EV button mod--there are risks and I accept them and in no way encourage others to take those risks themselves without serious consideration and a willingness to accept the fact that they may need to buy a $4000 ECU and/or $4000 HV Battery.

I would not, except under extreme conditions, try to go 600 miles when getting 53mpg in my Prius, I just don't think my tank has that capacity, and if it does I've never risked running it that low to find out. That said, I probably would push 600 miles if I were getting 55-58mpg, which is what I have been getting lately.

5. jij88

jij88 New Member

195 miles / 58.6 MPG (displayed) and overall 7900 miles / 54.1 MPG (calculated).

6. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Great average. How do you do it? ok maybe that's not the purpose of this thread and I've already gotten off topic once before on this thread, but I'd still like to know.

7. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i'm getting about between 44 and 45mpg with 125miles... about 1340miles overall.. last tank was 45mpg.. the two before that 42.3 and 42.2

Gas guage is very accurage.. MFD is very accurate on MPG

8. Joel

Joel New Member

46.6 at 42 miles (11 thousand something total miles).

Mostly highway 65-70 MPH (also to avoid being rear ended by the SUV and truck drivers.

9. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

on Friday the wifes 2k4 was at 5.7 for 253Km's and after a drive out of town and back, part hiway and most surburban and it's down to 5.2 Liters per hundred Km. at 431 Km's. It does a lot better on country roads vs the freeway. Lots of 2.5-3.5 vs 5.2-5.3 on the freeway.

10. prius2004hybris

prius2004hybris New Member

Last tank was 47.x MPG. 5000 mile lifetime average about 44 MPG.

My work commute is only 2 miles, so I know i can't get the best mileage.

I have gotten 56 to 60 mpg on trips on our local river road which is 45 MPH.

11. jnail78

jnail78 Junior Member

Current mileage

With about 250 miles on this tank, I am at 51.4 mpg

12. jij88

jij88 New Member

My commute is really suited to this car - 20 miles each way, half of it on usually, but not always, slow freeway and the other half on surface streets and not too many grades. I have ample opportunity to coast to stop lights without annoying other drivers. We don't have "cold" weather here. That seems to have been a significant factor for a lot of drivers. I haven't used the a/c much but that will change as it gets hotter this summer. Interestingly, my mileage seems to be even better when I turn off the consumption screen than when I have it on and monitor it all the time. That would support the notion that quicker acceleration up to speed is better than gradual acceleration. I just increased tire pressure to 40/38 but haven't noticed a difference in MPG yet. Trying to find ways to keep nudging my tank average up has become a form of commuter recreation. I also seem to be spending less time venting my low opinion of other driver's skills. Mileage up and aggrivation down. Life is good.

13. edrum

edrum New Member

0 MPG right now. The car is at the dealer. I get it tomorrow.

14. autoxic

autoxic Commuter

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    52.0 at 165 miles. VA, 90% highway driving at 80F avg.
    LMPG: 48+

15. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I must first admit that when I worked in Corporate America where most of us drove identical company cars, I always got the worst mileage of anyone by a wide margin.

With that in mind, I'm pleased to be averaging 41.5 mpg on the last two tanks, my best average in eight months. The upgrade tires take a toll, but mostly it's my non-Prius driving style. I rotate a few ICE vehicles and it's taken until last month to really focus on correct Prius form. I fully expect to hit upper 40's on a consistent basis soon.

On a side note, I autocrossed the Prius yesterday. TRAC and VSC did me in on a dry asphalt track even using my best technique (throttle on, left foot brake). I've been in Prius driving style for so long now that the aggression needed to throw the car into corners just wasn't there. Still, my times were competitive compared to other cars in my class. If only I could disable TRAC and VSC, I believe the Prius HSD/CVT combination could humble a few ICE hot shoes. :mrgreen:

16. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Do you have any video from the AX?

17. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry Danny, no video.

18. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  19. PetersPrius

PetersPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    MPG

Currently:

51.9 mpg
    132 miles

20. DC Fat Cat

DC Fat Cat New Member

I just happened to check when I got out tonight....

54.9 mpg