1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Quietest snow tire?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ProximalSuns, Oct 9, 2012.

1. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Was planning to put Nokian WG's or Happelita snows on the Prius. I had Nokian WG's on the Escape Hybrid, loved them but they were noisier than the OEM all season tires. With the Prius having higher road noise than the Escape, I'm looking for the quietest/best snow tire from among the top tier WG snows.

Michelin X-Ice, Bridgestone Blizzaks, Nokians...etc.

Anyone running those tires on a Prius III generation that found one that was quieter than the Prius OEM tires?

2. hlunde

hlunde Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Quietest winter tires I have had are Vredestein Wintrac (H) and Snowtrac(T). Comparable tire for a Prius seems to be the Snowtrac3. Eurotire in Fairfield NJ is a dealer.

(I haven't used winter tires on my 2010 Prius.)

3. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks. Researched them, TireFactory doesn't list a 15" size and at $243 vs. Nokia WG at $143, too big a price difference. Nokian's were great tires, long tread life just a bit noisy.

The Nokian Hakkapeliitta R claims the lowest rolling resistance so I've asked for pricing on those vs. the WG's. I'll suffer the noise for the safety and the fuel mileage.

4. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Nokian Hakkapeliitta R are $580 delivered by online retailer. $676 installed by local tire shop.

5. hlunde

hlunde Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Snowtrac3 (195/65-15) is listed at tiresbyweb.com at $130 per tire; free shipping. Still a relatively high price.

Michelin and Continental seem to often be rated for best snow performance.

Suggest you look at link below for comprehensive winter tire tests including rolling resistance. Please note that lower numerical score is better - like rank and not a point score.

ADAC Test 2011 Winterreifen 195/65 R15

Page is in German, but google will translate for you.

6. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nokian has lowest rolling resistance for Nokians which says a lot but I don't know how that translates to noise.

I'll probably just live with whatever the Hakkapeliiitta gives me on noise.

7. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nokian and Vredestein are about equal. Is one of the ratings noise?

8. hlunde

hlunde Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ADAC test says that Continental TS830 has very low rolling resistance, with only the US-unavailable Semperits being lower. Tirerack sells a TS810 which is a similar tire with non-directional tread. Also Continental owns Semperit, so small difference could be test driver perception.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We're using Michelin X-Ice, in 195/65R15, and finding them very well behaved, quiet, unsnowtirelike. Case in point: last fall I put them on, and a few days later asked my wife how they were doing. She'd forgotten I even put them on, lol. This is comparing to our stock 215/45R17 Michelin Pilots, fwiw.

The rolling resistance of the X-Ice (in 15") seems on-par with the OEM Pilots (in 17"). Mileage stays pretty much the same, the tanks before/after the switch. So from that I take that the X-Ice mileage premium is comparable to the 15" vs 17" premium.

We had Nokian WRG2 (all weather) on a previous car, and they had a distinct "song", not unpleasant though. They did have an impact on mileage, comparing to tires like the Bridgestone Ecopia EP20. This is with both in 195/65R15.

10. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good info...the Michelin X sounds like it would be quieter than the Nokian and it gets top rated for slush and ice.

11. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think I'll go with the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 from TireRack. $108 each plus $55 shipping to local Toyota dealer. They'll install and reset the TPMS ($167) and install remote start ($650) so I'll be all set for winter.

Looks to be the quietest of the stud less snows.

12. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The TPMS does not need to be reset.

iPhone ?

13. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  14. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  15. rpg51

rpg51 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I read a review - can't find it right now - of the Xi3 that indicated it was a significant improvement over the Xi2. But you read reviews like that all the time and I really pay little attention to them. I just bought a set of the Xi3s in 15 for my Gen 3. Not on the car yet. Probably wait another month or so. I will say this - last time I purchased snows from a big online dealer and I thought I was getting a huge deal but when I went to have them mounted and balance locally I got hammered with installation charges that the local dealers waive if you buy tires from them. In the end the total cost was about the same buying locally v. buying from the big on line dealer. So now I buy locally. I think the differences between all these high end winter tires are very minor and not worth a lot of angst. They are all good tires. There is an awful lot of marketing hype and you don't want to take it too seriously.

16. rpg51

rpg51 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    F8L likes this.
  17. ProximalSuns

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Agree with they buy local. Don't think the savings is that great and keep the locals working and there when you need them. Reason for buying and shipping to Toyota dealer is they can put in the Remote start, do the tires in one day vs. two days (one for remote and one for tires) and they provide shuttle service back and forth so saves me LOTS of time or money.

Thanks for the Xi3 review.

At the high end, Nokian, X's, Blizzaks...you are right not much difference on the ice/snow. The dry road noise and fuel consumption is they key for noisy, hybrids. Especially in winter when hybrid mileage takes a hit from temps and ethanol. I wonder if Nokian would have an edge there?

I'll probably give the Xi3's a try. If I don't like them, they are a known brand I could sell and put the Nokian's on. Nokians are kind of niche breed. Trying to sell the four from my Escape Hybrid and people ask..."What kind of tires are those?"

18. rpg51

rpg51 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Around these parts, (Vermont), Nokians are sort of the gold standard - very well known and liked. Lots of folks use studded snows around here. I have used studs in the past but my experience is after the first year any small advantage over modern studless tires disappears. But that is another issue.

19. hlunde

hlunde Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Geräusch is noise.

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I got ours on Corolla steel rims:

Corolla 15" black steel rims p/n: 42611-02471-sw (snows)
    With lug nuts p/n: 90942-01007 (utilitarian, open ended, galvanized Toyo nuts)

You could get the Corolla wheel cover to go with the above, for a nicer look.

I didn't bother with tpm sensors.*

Because of some uncertainty regarding the rim fit (it was fine), I went with the dealership for tire purchase install. Next time around I'd likely use Costco. Their prices are hard to beat, and any manufacturer's coupon (Michelin typically has a $70 off coupon on a set of 4, pretty much every fall) is taken off at the till. In other words: no mail-in hassle/delay, and you're paying tax on $70 less.

* Off topic: our tpms showed a warning the other night. I'd reset it when I was using a bit higher tire pressures, and with cooling temp's the pressures had dropped enough to activate the system warning. This is on our OEM's. Brought the pressures up and warning went off, after maybe a block of driving. Good to know it works.