1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Radiator Blocker Mk IV

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by hdrygas, Feb 15, 2006.

1. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Here are pictures of the final product. Prius Bra Radiator Bra Mrk IV. I have added plastic covers for the fog lights (one of which has a crack already :angry: ) and two zippers one on the upper blocker one on the lower. Seems to work well. Temps stay down at 195 with the zippers open on the freeway. Closed up the temps stay high as does the milage! Here are two pictures:
    Please look on my picture pages of Mods for the pictures. Space is limited here but you can see them all if you like.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Impressive! I think the mark V version needs a means of keeping those zippered blockers completely open (ie. rolled up and held with velcro or something) so the bra can be 'all seasons' and left on in summer without any impedence of air flow.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I agree but that would require a curved zipper and that apparently goes to the next level. I am considering a series of hooks on the inside edge to open up the zippers. I will keep working on the project.

4. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm new to the discussion but form what I'm reading this one seem good for colder climates. How did you make this one? Can you send instrucitons on how to make one? I'm too lazy to make one this year but for next winter it would be perfect. Better yet... you make them and sell them for a profit!

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well this went through a few stages. I got some Vinyl fabric from the local fabric store that came close to matching the Bra. It too had a felt backing like the Bra but not as thick. I also got Velcro. The hook part of the Velcro will stick to the felt of the Bra. I first made a paper pattern with brown wrapping paper, then cut out the prototype. I have taken off the pictures of the prototype but will repost them tomorrow. Originally I had 2 holes over the fog lights and they let in a lot of air. When I finally got the general concept down I added zippers by hand. That was no fun. Once I had a pattern I had someone sew up a final version using a machine. I also had them add Velcro loop side to the Bra so the hooks would not shred the felt backing. The plastic over the fog lamps was the idea of the person who sewed it up for me and I must say it makes for a tighter seal.. I could send you a pattern or talk to the person who did it for me. The fabric used was much better than I had as well.

6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I am going to put a 30 to this. I took the bra blockers off on May 16 and here are pictures of the blockers removed from the bra. If anyone wants patterns I will now make them. Send me a snail mail address on the PM and I will trace them and post them. I had a professional make these and he will do others but it is not cheep. The materials are better than the prototype, materials I could find. I show a 2-5 mpg improvement in our mild PNW climate. It does look good with the Zippers open, or closed. BTW the square areas on each end of the lower blocker have clear plastic in them to block air flow and protect the fog lights. It makes a huge difference in the ICE temps and Coolant temps. I did not have inverter or winding data for MG1 and 2 when I had the prototypes with open areas for the lights. I would say ICE temps went up at least 10 degrees with that addition. In a cold climate it would be a must have addition. I already have on cracked Fog light so for me it is a must have when we put sand and gravel on the roads. Thank god we do not use salt. We have had 80 degree highs the last few days and it was time to get them off to see how I do with inverter, winding and ICE temps. So far it has not made much difference than with this blocker on and zippers open. Still it was a successful experiment, even if I did not know how to make a good looking set of Foam insulator lips for the car. Thanks Frank! The ones I made were butt ugly and that drove me to this solution. BTW check out the Web pages below in my signature for more pictures of mod's etc. Warning these are .Mac web pages!