1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rain Tracker (RT-50A) Rain Sensing Wipers Installation

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Zedknepplin, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Zedknepplin

Zedknepplin semper prius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi PC!

The mad mod man strikes again:

Rain Tracker (RT-50A) Rain Sensing Wipers Installation

Instead of adding this to the "What did you do to your Prius today?" post, I made another post since it includes install instructions for the mod on a GEN 3 Prius. I have not seen another post on this particular mod except other PC users that asked questions about it so hopefully this will help other PC users and in the Prius C forum. I get tons if ideas and tips from the PC forums, so this is my contribution.

A friend of mine has a new Chrysler 300C that is loaded. He was showing me the rain sensing wipers, and I remembered I had those on my old Mercedes as well. So, I got to thinking about the aftermarket solutions for accessories (again). Yeah, I know, big whoop - just another useless gadget. When I had the Benz I did not use it that much either. I used to keep it on all of the time except it would randomly wipe and startle me. I eventually would just turn it on as needed instead of keeping it on all of the time.
    Link:

Online Docs:
    The instructions that come in the box are generic. You have to go to their web site for specific car make, model, & year install instructions (which wiper control wires to tie into or cut, etc.).
    Link:

Install:
    Pretty straight forward install. The instructions are comprehensive and well thought out. Read them first! A big deal for me was removing the plastic around the bottom of steering wheel to get at wiper control plugs - Turned out to not be a big deal (found instructions in Priuschat post). Next issue was where to put the interface module under the dash. Make sure the wind shield sensor is snapped in all the way into the coupler that mounts to the windshield - this is the detector. Sometimes one corner is propped up and not seated all the way. Run sensor wire under headliner and down driver side 'A' Pillar avoiding the air bags. Tape wires down and secure things so they do not rattle or cause annoying vibrations while driving or interfere with possible air bag deployment. Be sure to secure the wires under the steering wheel as well! There is a lot of metal there, and wires could get pinched if you do not secure them! I mounted the rain sensor behind the rear view mirror.

Info on how to do this is here:
    Rain Tracker Support
    Typical Rain Tracker Installation

Remove steering wheel cover:
    • Press in on sides of cover until it pops in slightly
    • Turn steering wheel 1/2 turn to left until you see a small hole
    • - Insert screwdriver to release tab
    • Turn steering wheel 1/2 turn to right until you see a small hole
    • - Insert screwdriver to release tab
    • Cover should come right off
    • To re-install just snap back together

[​IMG]
    Getting wires ready
    [​IMG]
    Wiper switch plugs
    [​IMG]
    My Rain Sensor Wiper control Switch
    [​IMG]
    Rain Sensor Placement

Rain Tracker also provides basic instructions in the box and other info such as troubleshooting tips on their site. They even have a toll-free number to call if needed.

WARNING: Perform the install with ignition OFF. Double check wiring and make sure nothing is exposed, shorted, or possibly pinched if the steering wheel is adjusted. Be aware that the front Wiper Fuse is 30 AMPS! I will spare you the details on how I found this out the HARD way...

Wiring:
    The Rain Tracker website has drawings for the GEN 1 and a GEN 2 Prius (04-10), but for GEN 3 Prius: The wiring has changed! On the 04-10 wiring diagram from their website - the Wire labeled LG (Light Green) is now Brown in the 2013 Prius. There is a Green wire (not LG) in the 2013 Prius version that I did tap into (thinking this was the LG wire), but the system did NOT work. I followed their troubleshooting tips and tracked this down. The Green wire on a 2013 Prius is +12V only when the wipers are going (not to be used by Rain Tracker). The Brown Wire is a constant +12V when the ignition on [NOTE: To clarify, Use the Brown wire, NOT the Green Wire]. The White/Black (Ground) is actually on another plug, and a thinner wire gauge - My wiper setup has 2 plugs. All other wiring colors are correct. It is best to get a voltmeter and check everything anyway just in case. I used my own On/Off switch instead of the one provided. I prefer to have a light indication for any energized accessory. Next issue was where to put the interface module under the dash. I just taped it to the plastic part that has the driver's floor board Yellow LED on it - not sure what that part is called (Foot area illumination?). I have read that on the new 2015 Prius Persona* the foot area illumination LEDs are blue**. They must have a larger current limiter resistor as they are not as bright as the aftermarket 12v Yellow LEDs I installed.

Wiper Testing:
    I used a spray bottle from the house with tap water, but forgot the water down here in the south is like battery acid. So now I got neat little trails etched on the windshield. Try bottled water instead. Turn the system on, it (should) wipe once. Then sprinkle some water over the sensor and they should wipe until sensor detects all water is gone. If you turn the system on and nothing happens, check your wiring and follow their troubleshooting tips. Another tip is to check if the existing wiper controls still work. If they do, that is great! Half the troubleshooting tips are done! Follow their instructions to isolate any problems.

- [On to next topics] -

*Prius Persona:

I had a thought rattling around in my brain pan as I was reading the write-up on the latest Prius Persona. Looking over my installed options & mods, I realized that like most people on Priuschat, I had those options and many more mods installed on my car since I bought it. So, here goes:

[​IMG]
    PP badge

**Interior Accent Lighting:
    Speaking of foot area illumination (LED Interior accent Lights):
    My Friend's 300C also has some very nice accent lighting throughout. In the door handle and cup holders’ areas - there are light-blue LEDs. I thought why not install some 12V yellow LEDs in these areas and tie them into the foot area illumination LEDs in my car? Cool luxury touch! These dim when the car is put in drive, come on when the doors are unlocked, and they also can be turned off by rolling the dimmer switch down. So, here I go again! I also installed some yellow LEDs under the front seats for the rear foot area, one under the bridge (already a pilot hole there), and installed some white LEDs in the rear doors as puddle lamps similar to the front doors. Plus I installed some 12V Red bulbs as marker lamps on each door. Since I had the doors apart, I added some dynamat to keep the sheet metal from rattling when closing the doors. The doors now have a nice clunk instead of a tinny bang. Running wires into the rear doors for the extra lighting was tricky. They were not like the front doors where I could feed wires through a rubber flex hose. The rear doors have a plug there! I noticed some of the wire connectors were not used so I carefully drilled through this area*** -> NOT for the faint of heart! Plus, there is not a lot of room in the door as the window track is very close to the wires coming into the door (secure these well!). My wife really likes this lighting mod probably more than some other mods I have done!

[​IMG]
    Door Drill Hole***
    [​IMG]
    Door LEDs I
    [​IMG]
    Door LEDs II
    [​IMG]
    RadioShack 12v Red Bulbs x4 for door marker lights

AMP Noise:
    I read in another post about someone that installed an amp. Their amp was amplifying engine noise (High Frequency - HF) and suggested shielding the crossovers. My High Freq Amp (for the front tweeters) is under the driver seat. In my last Prius it was in the back hatch area and had NO engine noise what-so-ever. I shielded and grounded the Zbox filter and twisted the pre-amp In L&R wires around each other to no effect - there is still engine noise. It usually ramps up just before the ICE kicks on - strange. Can't describe the noise but sounds like a dog whistle.

[​IMG]
    AMP

UPDATE: I ran a new ground wire to the AMP. I grounded this one to the metal frame under the front center console armrest (shorter connection & closer to the AMP). Result - Still engine noise, but not as bad. Oh well...

LINK - My Other Mods

UPDATE: Just found this post with nice detailed instructions attached: LINK

- Zed ☺

#1 Zedknepplin, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014