1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Random questions regarding eau de softex,high-pitched noise etc

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by HiPriustess, Jan 22, 2013.

1. HiPriustess

HiPriustess New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Greetings ! After stalking the v at random dealerships - so much that I could probably draw the interior to scale from memory - and trying to choose between trim and options I had a few questions.

1) Does the Softex smell ever go away... or does it off-gas ( even low VOC ) every time the interior heats up ? I’m pretty chemically sensitive.

2) If I opt for the v5, is everything that much more expensive to replace; the larger tires, the headlights, the whatever...

3) I have located a used 2012 v5 loaded with the tech package with very low miles and am considering buying it although they are still asking in excess of $ 28,200 before tax/dealer fees etc . I loved driving it, however I noticed an intermittant background sound like a very high almost inaudible whistle that shifted pitch. After a while , I wondered if it would make both me and my dog crazy over time. I NEVER heard this on the 2007 or 2008 Prius I’ve driven.... any v owners hear this or maybe it was the specific car I was driving.

4) I’ve heard that Toyota metallic colors fry over time ( the pearly ones). Anyone know about clearcoat... I prefer not to spend yet more dollars on Toyoguard

5) Is it a good idea to buy a 2012 used v with 10,000 miles for $ 28,000 ( loaded with tec/sun/moon roof) that is listed as 1 previous owner but was really the dealerships loaner car - hence maybe the high pitched whistle sounds and the scratches in the cargo area. Or would you just buy/lease a virgin v?? I’m wondering if the car, being used, will off-gas less than a virgin v.

6)Is there anything to suggest that the cloth on the v gets less grubby and shabby looking than on the other Prii ??

Many thanks for all input.

2. enviroprius

enviroprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They basically took off a dollar for every mile. Sounds like a good deal to me. I would ask them about the whistle and have a tech ride with you as it doesn't sound normal. We've had ours since May and I don't smell the seats anymore.

3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Larger turning radius with the 17" wheels.

Check the sunroof is fully closed.

Don't pay the asking price, nobody does. Get a comparable or two off the net (ebay, craigslist, KBB, etc) and use it to bargain.

My softex doesn't give off any smell I or my wife detect after 2 months but the weather has been mild and I don't know what sitting in the sun in summer would be like..

4. Jzerocsk

Jzerocsk Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If it's a high-pitched whine almost like a what a CRT TV used to make, particularly when applying light pressure to the brake, I believe that's the DC-DC inverter. I thought it might drive me nuts, but after a few days I stopped noticing it. It does not seem to bother my dog either, although she is over 10 years old and probably doesn't have the best hearing, so she's probably not the best yardstick.

5. HiPriustess

HiPriustess New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks all... back at the Dealership today, more stalking, more driving..... Softex soooo much more comfortable to sit in for me than the cloth so looks like I may have found my car. Love the Seaglass but this one is the Blizzard Pearl, still uber gorgeous with my preferred Bisque interior. Which means it’s a 5 but not the tech-loaded 5 with moonroof etc.

Does anyone have compelling reasons for or against the tech package. I will also be leasing for the first time ever. I have always had longterm serially monogamous relationships with my vehicles but I figure I can buy out the lease if I strike it rich or at the end of the lease.

The starting price is dealer invoice ( this dealership has no dealer fees and are super customer oriented... free tires for life etc, they have to make up the money somewhere but the sales guy told me it was really due to turnover and referrals), Very non -pushy people but I know they have their ways and means. So, the price for the v 5 non tech is 30,656 ( about 1,500 under MRSP). and the monthly with 7,000 down ( including first month/reg/ but I think no additional ‘inception fees') is around $290.. the buy out price is $18,200.

If anyone cares to weight in about leasing or if this is a good deal , I’d love to hear.

The car I drove today is lovely, not so much of the high pitched whining as the $28,200 Pre-owned v 5 (tech) mentioned about that has 10,000 miles and which I can’t lease and I would have to finance but could put a chunk down.

Thanks again... HiPriustess x

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  7. enviroprius

enviroprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The only down side I've had with the ATP is the view roof doesn't open, but I got past it. Especially since my daily driver is our 07. I only leased one car ever. Ended up buying it. More people who trade their cars often should think about it. If you are going to keep it probably doesn't make sense. But everyone is different.

8. HiPriustess

HiPriustess New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks y’all

9. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    You can get the Softex seats put into a car that doesn't have them. You don't have to go to the 5 to get the Softex. Mine was arranged by a dealer using a package with the Toyota logo on it. No heated seats but I don't run around in shorts during the winter (said when it is 17F outside).

Where are you located? How far would you travel to save ~$600 on a purchase?

10. HiPriustess

HiPriustess New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks again... that’s interesting about putting in the Softex post-purchase. will consider !

11. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Love the Softex seats - they were worth the extra $ in the package I got and I have no regrets about any of it. I had a few very hot days in September/October with my then new baby and did not notice anything other than the wonderful new car smell. Don't think I could ever go back to cloth again.

Added plus - my liftback package 4 has the solar roof and that little fan kicking on, on a hot day is a godsend. Not sure what the packages are in the v but enjoy the hunt for your new baby.

12. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    There is a good discussion about leasing at Pros & Cons of Leasing a Car vs. Buying a Car - Good or Bad Idea?

The least expensive way to own cars is to save and pay cash. My wife went one step further when she bought her Prius v Five last year. After negotiating a price substantially under invoice, she charged as much as the dealer would allow ($10,000+ ?) to get as many frequent flyer points as possible, wrote a personal check for the remainder, paid off the credit card balance as she always does each month, and privately sold her still wonderful high spec 14 year old Camry V6. We had people beating down our doors to buy that Camry.

Being a cash buyer without a trade-in completely simplifies a car purchase and puts the buyer in the driver's seat. By the way, my wife is a C.P.A.

13. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    And locate a dealer who can sell you the car Toyota makes or imports and doesn't:
    • Have a distributor between the dealer and Toyota
    • Have mandatory distributor added accessories/options
    • Have a ridiculous "processing/administrative fee" (I've seen up to $700)
    • Have a "vehicle preparation fee" (I've seen up to $300)
    I saved $2k by avoiding the above which were all going to be charged by my local dealers. Being retired, it was worth it for me to go out of state to buy. Which is why I asked the question about where you live and how far you'd go to save. I might have a tip depending on those answers.

14. HiPriustess

HiPriustess New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Y’all....

well WOOHOO I just bought my Prius v 5 - Blizzard Pearl with Bisque Softex and because Toyota was running a 0% financing I put a largish chunk to keep my monthly down rather than go with Leasing which just didn’t feel right somehow.. and would have added a few thousand to the cost the car if I bought it out.

I think I did OK on the price. Looked for comps on truecar.com and had two other dealerships giving me their best price. I got the basic price of the car down from $ 30,595 for $30,200 with carpet matts ( $299) special color ($ 325) rear bumper guard ($ 89) all thrown included... no dealer fee/delivery fee/ no extras. I ended up paying $ 32,000 total., tax/ reg/ etc inc. But I do not know, maybe no dealer ever really charges the extra paint fee/carpet matt fee. This dealership offers free tires for life... now I just have to make my way through the maze of warranties. I really don’t feel inclined to get any of the warranties- much as they are pushing. Well, maybe the dent and ding warranty....
    I probably could have talked them down another few hundred if I’d been more aggressive.One dealership was offering $29,500 with their $995 deal fee included.. but they didn’t have the trim I wanted and I couldn’t quite trust them since they said they could lease me v 5 for $ 166 per month with $ 8,800 down - which didn’t make sense to anyone I spoke to since they would have been so far under with the car it didn’t make sense.

Here’s the irony. The morning after I bought the car, we figured out that my beloved 1991 4 Runner needed a new
    alternator not a starter motor and now she’s purring like a kitten.

SO... 2 cars now.

NOW..... I have to figure out how the get the gas-saving high from the v 5 that I had on the 2007/2008 Prius I drove where I could get at least 420 miles per tank.
    If anyone has tips about this and how much to expect from a tank with the v 5 I’d love to hear.
    One thing: I looove the smell of the Softex, call me crazy. I do miss the lightweight zippy mile-eating joy of my old Prius and will need to adjust to the heavier, less cheeky vibe of the v 5 but man, it’s comfortable... still nothing beats the feeling of economizing on miles... so all tips appreciated.

Thanks all.

PS.... I put quite a bit of payment on Credit Cards to get airmiles..... great minds !