1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rattle from engine compartment...how to isolate?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by qdllc, Jul 1, 2014.

1. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've noticed a rattle that seems to come from the ICE. I can say I've heard it when the car's in EV mode, so I think it may be something loose that is tapping due to overall motor vibration. It sounds like a thin piece of metal tapping something else. Like loose paneling except metal, not plastic.

I'm not sure how to replicate this with a Prius. With a car, you can rev an engine to get the same effect from motor vibration. A Prius would require I elevate the drive wheels because I doubt you could do jack in P or N.

I've read the thread on the zip-tie fix, and I'll give it a try to see if that's what's causing the issue. I won't know until I get a chance to drive to town.

2. buster71

buster71 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i did the zip tie trick a few weeks ago and it cured my rattle/buzz that was driving me bonkers. definitely give it a try.

3. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What did they zip tie? H

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    IIRC, it was the bracket that holds the intake hose, just behind the passenger side headlight housing. Apparently it could be a loose fit and create a buzzing or vibration that would transmit along the fender and back to the firewall.

SCH-I535

HaroldW likes this.
  5. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks xliderider. H

6. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I found what matched the pic in another thread, but it was at the front of the engine compartment. Still, I think the rattle on that side is gone. I have another one that seems to come from the driver's side. I'd like to track that one down and do something about it as well.