1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

rattling noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by boh1x, Apr 19, 2015.

1. boh1x

boh1x New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just recently purchased 2007 prius with 120000 miles on it and I added air in the tires 42 in front 40 in the rear and it started making rattling noises but only when I hit a bump and not when I am braking. I stopped in at a brake repair shop to have them take a look at it and they couldn't find anything so they said they'd bent the brake backing plate a little thinking that it might just be rattling but it didn't change anything. not sure if they did any damage by bending that plate or if it makes a difference. But would also like to find out from you or someone else what the problem is with the rattling. Thanks

2. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Try dropping your tire pressure a bit and see if that helps, I know the 10 and 11's are known to have rattle problems that are made worse by higher tire pressures.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it in the center console or glovebox area?

4. johnjohnchu

johnjohnchu Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it somewhere underneath the instrument panel cover?

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I suggest you take apart everything in the back section to see the spare tire and battery. Make sure everything is secured and nothing is loose. What can be bent in the rear section of the car, where the rattle is coming from?

6. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    try to locate what area the rattle is coming from. get a friend with sharp ears to ride with you.

7. JarvisHybrid

JarvisHybrid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My 2012 Prius with 80K started having this rattle sound coming from the driver's side dash area. At first, I thought it was the front strut. After taking to a shop to inspect the suspension without results, I talked the dealership into looking at it when I brought it in for an unrelated recall (software update). I don't how I talked them into it as I declined the diagnosis that had a $150 price tag! I half suspect that they didn't even look at and just told me that I needed the steering shafts replaced because they knew about this issue from the previous generation. I took it to yet another shop, that didn't charge a diagnosis fee, but they just said that it's possible I need new shaft(s) and to take it to yet another shop that could do an alignment (it's also pulling to the right) and inspect it more closely! I was about to give up and just have someplace go ahead and replace the damned shafts when I found a post about this issue on here. After a half an hour, I had tightened the bolt on the top of the shaft up behind the steering wheel and the bottom one on the shaft near the floor and the rattling and the shaking was gone! I didn't need to take off the vent or kick panel, only the small black piece that holds the tire sensor stuff and let it hang to access the top bolt and the bottom access was easy as you described. Saved me $980!!

8. sangahm

sangahm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Which post did you find the information? And do you have pics on how you did it? Is it something that I could do (reasonably handy but not a car person)?

NVM, I see you responded to this post, so it's probably what you were referring to.

#8 sangahm, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019