1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Read threads but still need help removing battery fan

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by elliptical22, Jul 2, 2014.

1. elliptical22

elliptical22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I recently purchased a 2006 prius. I came across threads on here concerning the battery cooling fan going bad due to debris. I had to clean this car quite a bit to get the dog smell and hair out of it so I am concerned about my battery overheating. I read a some articles and made an attempt to get at it and clean the fan today. I got to the point of getting the three bolts off that hold the fan. I disconnected one of the electrical cables and then noticed that there is a metal bracket holding the fan body to the black upper vent body. I did not figure out how to disconnect this so I could pull the fan down out of the black vent. It has some weird small thread screw on one side and a plastic butterfly type screw on the other. I thought I may have read that you don't have to disconnect this, but I don't see how you pull the fan out otherwise. Unfortunately I had to put everything back together so I could get to work, so I didn't get a lot of time at that point to try and get the fan out. I appreciate any help on this.
    On this link you can see the metal bracket you can see the metal bracket on the right side connecting the fan body with the black upper vent body. Image: 2004-2009 Toyota Prius battery pack, second generation, size: 1024 x 682, type: gif, posted on: April 6, 2009, 6:44 pm - Green Car Reports

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    you should disassemble all the vents as well. get a good cleaning while it's all opened up.

btw, how did you get dog hair off the headliner and seat upholstery?

3. elliptical22

elliptical22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    even if I remove the top vent it will still be attached to the fan by the metal bracket. I need help with disconnecting that. I'm considering cutting the plastic push pin that connects it on one side to get in there. I could be overlooking something obvious here, I am not that mechanically inclined, that's why Im asking.
    I didn't get all of the dog hair yet, but got most of it. Fortunately there wasn't much on the headliner. Just repetitive vacuuming.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is it possible to clean without complete removal, when it's exposed but still attached?

5. elliptical22

elliptical22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    http://priuschat.com/attachments/battery_blower-pdf.24329/
    In this document it states to remove the ventilator clips to remove the vent on top of the fan in order to remove the fan. When I was in there I didn't understand how to remove this black plastic piece (what looked like a push through clip). Anyone know how to remove this clip?

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You push the center of the clip in and it'll release it. Press with the tip of a phillips screw driver.

7. elliptical22

elliptical22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Okay thank you, I will take another shot at it then.

8. elliptical22

elliptical22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Alright so I got back in there and was able to remove the fan. I was surprised to see that the fan was hardly dirty. There was about a mm of dust cake on the blades. I cleaned a bunch of dog hair from the interior of the car when I bought it a few weeks ago, hmm. I bought it from the original owner, she didn't say anything about the it being cleaned before but when I was in there it looked as if the bottom vent had been accessed before. Anyway I'm glad it was clean and it appears I have a good battery, car has been running well so far. Thanks for the help.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great start, all the best and welcome!(y)