1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Real issue, or bad shop?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bryan W, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Bryan W

Bryan W New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My prius just crossed the 150,000 line, so I got the 30K service. Oil change, filters, spark plugs, and the rest. I've carefully maintained the car since I bought it at 12 miles on the odometer.

After the weekend and approximately driven 90 miles after the tune up, it started making a rattling noise. Pulled over, towed back to the shop.

They are reading P0302 - cylinder 2 misfire. Shop says with a scope they can see the cylinder isn't moving, but they can see cylinder 3 moving. They also say the oil levels look good and the oil pan is full. They say the best solution is to replace the engine.

They say they suspect it "blew a cylinder". That isn't what I'm seeing with the P0302 message online, but I'm not a mechanic.

I find it highly suspect that a cylinder fails about 90 miles after replacing the oil and spark plugs. Is this really just an unfortunate coincidence? Is it more likely that they screwed something up? Should I hold their feet to the fire, visit a different shop, or try to get them to pay for whatever damage? They're a fairly reputable shop, but people do sometimes make mistakes.

Thoughts?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    did you check the oil level before towing it into the shop?

3. Bryan W

Bryan W New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope. Not knowing what the problem might be in advance and not being a mechanic I don't know what to test in advance. I was more concerned about the cars driving next to me at 80+ mph rather than getting accurate measurements of fluids.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    what kind of maintenance have you done to it and at what mileage were they done? It does seem like a coincidence to have it break down 90 miles after the services.

5. Bryan W

Bryan W New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Regular oil changes and other service as scheduled.

I know parts get old and wear down, and as I wrote the whole thing 90 miles after service is a bit fishy, but it could just be that it was time for the part to go. I don't know how I would go about attempting to demonstrate that it was a bad job at the shop even if it was. Barring some third party having said "oil pan is bone dry" right after the service I can't imagine a way to demonstrate it either way. Is there some specific thing to look for?

At this age is an engine replacement the best option? Is there some specific thing I should look for? Should I have them rebuild the existing engine even though it costs much more, or replace it? Basically I'm not sure what options are good for a 150K mile Prius.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you've maintained the car and oil changes as scheduled (even though you are late on the spark plug changes), then you should go get another opinion. The engine if maintained properly and well lubricated, should not have MAJOR issues at 150k.

7. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The "cylinders" never move, they are part of the engine block. If they mean that the piston isn't moving within the cylinder then yeah that is a pretty severe failure. To be honest that would normally make a bit more noise than just a rattle. Did you get any warning lights before the rattling started?

Anyway, it's probably worth getting a second opinion on what happened to the engine. I'd be tempted to get it towed to an independent workshop and get them to take a look.

8. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Highly unusual, It sure sounds like they made a mistake.
    I would gamble and tow it to another shop to see if they can figure out what went wrong.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe they dropped something into the cylinder when changing the plugs.

PriusGuy32 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. Bryan W

Bryan W New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, it started shaking and making a noise, but it wasn't particularly loud or violent. There were no warning lights and I didn't see a check engine light on the dash. The on-board display was showing the radio stations and not any kind of warning.

Talked it over with a mechanic friend, he tells me sadly there isn't much I can do to prove fault even if it was something they did. He said the noises and shaking I described could fit the description of a blown rod, and that he trusts the shop pretty well.

They're one of the better shops in the area, so while I don't particularly trust that they didn't screw up, they're well known enough that it is more likely a fluke than gross incompetence.

At this point it is likely more about getting a fair deal on the repairs that must be made.

Since there are no new engines for a prius they say they found two with about 110k miles, so they'll get the one with slightly less miles on it. They're asking $870 for the engine, $250 for fluids and gaskets, and 18 hours of labor for $1476, for $2596 plus tax. My mechanic friend says the labor seems a bit long but he spends more time with forklifts and tractors than with cars so he isn't sure what's involved with a hybrid engine replacement.

Since I'm not a mechanic and my mechanic friend doesn't know Prius, for those that know the costs and effort, do those seem reasonable?

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This seems pretty expensive for a car with 150k miles and may need a new traction battery in the near future. You might want to get another opinion on the damage, hoping for a cheaper fix. A new engine and traction battery will run over $5000, not sure it's worthwhile for you

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The first thing that comes to mind, similar to Bisco's comment, is that grit got into the cylinder during the spark plug swap. If the caps over spark plug wells are not effective, stuff like sand can accumulate in bottom of well, pretty disastrous.

If this was the case, could it be proved with scope inspection??

13. Bryan W

Bryan W New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking over the service details, the spark plugs don't look that expensive, and they listed spark plugs as part of the tune up. It is a Toyota-affiliated shop so I would assume they know the right plugs.

If they had used copper instead of iridium plugs, could that likely have caused the problem? That seems like something easily checked by another mechanic.

14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Take all the spark plugs out and take a look. That's easy enough to do. Iridium or copper wouldn't cause what you are experiencing.

15. Bryan W

Bryan W New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. They're showing as $7.95 each, I misread it as $7.95 total for all four. Looks like that's a valid price for the iridium plugs online.

I'll still check the plugs out in the morning and ask a different shop to check it out. I just feel so distrustful after this, even though the few mechanics I know say they're a good shop I feel as a non-mechanic I have no good way to verify anything they do.

The $2596 seems like a lot for the repair, and the 90 miles after service both seem suspicious, but the one mechanic I do actually trust (but doesn't do this kind of vehicle) is not offering a lot of reassurance. He says both that it might be due to age or it might be due to errors. He suggests they might be responsible or it might be regular wear but it isn't clear-cut. He says it might be a reasonable amount of time for the motor or it might not, but it is higher than he's used to for traditional motors.

I've had such a good track record (over a decade of no problems with this car) that I'd forgotten just how frustrating dealing with auto mechanics can be.

If even he as mechanic isn't certain, how can I as a non-mechanic have a chance?

16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have the mechanic you trust look it over, the regular gas engine is no different than any other car engine. take the spark plugs out and see what they look like. Maybe they weren't installed correctly, maybe it's broken. Nobody knows until you start digging deeper.

17. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    FWIW, you may find it will be just too much expense to fix your car. Maybe you should just call it a day and invest in a newer one. Normally, the engines last longer than yours did. They might have got some grit in the cylinder when changing the plugs. Who knows. But if a rod is broken, and no piston movement... It would surely be more than a rattle. More like a big bang and a hole in the side of the block.

I would seek a second opinion. Trust the guy who you normally would. Heed what advice you feel is worthy here on Prius Chat. IMO the figures you quoted are too much for the age and miles on your car. If it was mine, I would get something different and not waste any more time or money on it. Also a used engine with close to 100K on it is almost 2/3 wore out. Definitely not worth the money you are talking. Toyota says the lifetime expectancy of the Prius is 175,000 miles. Consider that and where you are now.

Ron (dorunron)

18. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is time to gather some facts based upon observation, rather than continue to speculate.

1. It could be that the issue is a failed spark igniter or fuel injector for cylinder 2 causing the misfire. If so, that would be a relatively simple repair costing three-digits.

2. Remove the spark plugs and turn the crankshaft pulley by hand (using a socket wrench or a box wrench on the pulley center bolt) to see if there are any abnormal noises or if you have difficulty as you rotate the engine. If you can easily rotate the crankshaft, there is hope that the engine mechanical condition is basically OK.

If you have a problem rotating the crankshaft that would lend credibility to the hypothesis that a piston connecting rod is broken. For example if a piston is stuck in the cylinder due to a broken connecting rod then you would expect that the valves would hit the top of the piston as you rotate the engine, or the broken connecting rod would hit something as the crankshaft is turned.

As the crankshaft is rotated you can use a long narrow screwdriver or other probe to insert into each spark plug hole to gauge the distance to the top of the piston. That distance should vary as the piston moves up and down within its cylinder.

3. If the results of #2 are favorable, have a cylinder leak down test or compression test performed on the engine. That will show whether the engine is in basically good condition or not. If not, then have a used engine installed. The compression test requires access to Toyota Techstream (or the Mini VCI clone available on Amazon.com)

4. Look on eBay for used Prius engine prices which will be lower than $870.

All of the above steps can be performed at home assuming you have the correct tools and know what you are doing. If you don't then ask your mechanic friend for help. Even if he doesn't have Techstream he should be able to perform a cylinder leak down test, that requires rotating the crankshaft to top dead center (TDC) to check cylinders 1 and 4, then rotate the crankshaft 180 degrees to check cylinders 2 and 3 (cylinder firing order is 1 - 3 - 4 - 2). The entire firing order is performed over 720 degrees of crankshaft rotation so when the engine is at TDC, check cylinders 1 and 4 to see which one is in the compression cycle (the other will be in the exhaust cycle where the exhaust valves are open. Then rotate the crankshaft 360 degrees which will reverse which cylinder is in compression cycle and which is in exhaust cycle.)

#18 Patrick Wong, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
    2k1Toaster, dorunron and Mendel Leisk like this.
  19. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    At the very least, a 2nd opinion is always a good idea.

I've had an engine "lose" a cylinder before - the connecting rod broke and the piston no longer moved. It sounded AWFUL. Rattle would be a severe understatement. Plus, my dash lit up like a christmas tree and I instantly lost oil pressure, even with it running knocking and banging (This was on a different vehicle, NOT my Prius).

20. Bryan W

Bryan W New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got it looked at again with a second opinion (I hate paying for towing between shops and the service costs, but such is the expense of a vehicle...)

They confirmed the #2 was broken. They also identified that #2 had a bad spark ignition coil which was probably the ultimate cause.

They seconded the recommendation of replacing the engine since the vehicle is basically in good shape.

As for the comments about the mild noise and shaking, I don't know if it was just the way it broke or the fact that the engine is small in the Prius. The shaking was fairly mild and the noise fairly quiet. Instead of the normal soft purr it sounded like a rough purr, still quiet but with a click-click-click and a mild shake that you could feel if you put your hands on the body but wasn't directly visible. No loud bangs and no triangle of doom.