1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear brakes at 200k miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ponchotempest, Nov 24, 2014.

1. ponchotempest

ponchotempest Junior Member

So I finally got around to inspecting my rear brakes after 200k miles, and I was expecting to need both sides and drums. However, I found everything was still in spec! The front shoes had 1.5mm at the thinnest (1.0mm min per Toyota), and the drums looked new (also in spec). It's nice that Toyota puts those notches in the backing plate of the shoe to make measurements easier... They think of everything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm still going to replace the shoes soon, but I can't believe how long they last. (I did the fronts at 140k because the rotors were rusty).

So who's gone the longest on original brakes?

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  2. lesturner

lesturner Taming the Dragon - Tennessee

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well... Just serviced the back brakes at 230K... Mostly out of guilt. After all they had to be about ready for replacement.

They were only about 50% used and still working great. Since I bothered to open them up, installed shoes, brake kit and new drums anyway. Should be good for the next 300K...

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done. the drums were so much more reliable than gen III discs.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My hat's off to anyone that does drum brake shoe replacement. Did it once, without the proper tools, that was enough, lol.

Drum brakes sure last, all you really need to do most times is put a little anti-seize on the back-of-shoe contact points. That is IF you can get the $&;?#% drums off.