1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear (dead) Axle replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Luis, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Luis

Luis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    long time reader first time posting...

I am looking at replacing my rear axle to my 2007 Prius and had a few questions that I'm hoping someone here can help me with. The reason for the replacement is that my rear axle is bent (most likely due to bottoming out on rough roads near where I live and is now causing severe cupping on the inside of my rear tires. As I know this is a very expensive part, I am looking into finding a decent used axle in a junkyard. There is one locally that I have found but it is for a Touring edition. Are the rear axles interchangeable between the touring and standard editions? Does anyone have any experience in replacing the rear axles and have any advice on the replacement? Lastly, and most important, is there any (simple) way to check a used axle to make sure it is relatively straight and won't cause the same problems? Appreciate any help and advice from users with experience....

Thanks!

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wonder if commercially available shims, used for alignment purposes, would have enough of an angle to bring things back to true again? Maybe getting an alignment shop to test would be a start. Easier to install shims than a whole axle.

3. Simtronic

Simtronic Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    As far as I know the only difference is the brakes they are discs with parking brake in the centers on the touring

4. Luis

Luis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the info. I did get my alignment checked, which is when I was told about the rear axle issue. Attached is the spec sheet I was given. I do not know if my wheels are too far out of alignment for shims to be a possible solution. Can anyone with more experience take a look at the spec sheet and let me know how far out of alignment my wheels are?

Attached Files:

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You should find a specialty alignment shop, show them your report and ask if they can install shims to help the rear.

Your front alignment is not very good either, the toe-in and camber on the front wheels can and should be adjusted. Toe-in should be 0 or very slightly positive while camber should be equal on both sides and at the middle of the range.