1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Ended. Now I can't open hatch. How to manually release it?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by drewbabich, May 20, 2014.

1. drewbabich

drewbabich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My prius got rear ended. The bumper got flattned out pretty good and I can see the rear hatch carpet is push up a little bit so the hatch must of got pushed forward a bit and compressed some. But the hatch and quarter pannels all seem ok and so are the brake lights.

How the heck to I get the hatch manually opened? It will not open. I figure I can crawl back there, pull the carpet up and mess around with the latch with a screwdriver or something.

My car has 190,000 miles and I'd love to replace the bumper myself and just live with it the way it is rather then take it to a body shop. I probably will, but pocketing the money and putting it towards a newer prius later would be ideal.

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you can't open the hatch following a rear end collision, the chances are you won't be able to shut it if you do manage to open it. That could be a security or health issue - if it doesn't shut you might be getting exhaust fumes coming into the car. There will probably be rear structural damage under the trunk floor.

Get the car repaired asap (assuming it's not beyond repair) however that is to your benefit, ie getting the other persons insurance to pay for it all.

3. drewbabich

drewbabich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yea i was concerned i might not be able to get it closed if i popped it open.

Mine is for a taxi cab service also that i use for all my long distance runs. I'm trying to figure out if I really need the hatch to open up for the next 110,000 miles.... (thats going on the assumption that I'll get 300,000 miles out of this still strong running prius)

I think with just a new bumper cover on it, it will look pretty good.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there is a manual pull handle under the floor. if it's stuck, maybe you can push with your feet.