1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear hatch assembly repeated failure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Billyboy, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Billyboy

Billyboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a Toyota for quality. That's a joke considering all the recalls. Two years ago I had an issue with the Hatch door lock malfunctioning. It rarely stayed locked or when you finally got it locked wouldn't open on the first try. This problem resulting is an idiot warning light on the dash staying lit no matter what, which drains the battery. It cost me a ridiculous $493 to repair, another $130 for the battery.

Well guess what, same thing again. For a few days before no matter what, it took 5-10 or more tries to finally get the hatch to lock. No happy medium, shut the damn thing too light, it doesn't lock, shut to too hard you can break it.

I hadn't used the car for a couple days, didn't notice the warning light, battery drained again. I'm beyond livid. This seems to be another Toyota LACK OF QUALITY issue. What's the odds of the original lock assembly failing and two years later the replacement failing. And no, I'm not rough with the car, hardly drive it, just 26,000 miles on my 2006 and treat with kid gloves.

I went though the whole 400 page plus manual, no mention what fuse or what wire to disconnect so I wouldn't be surprised if the battery drains overnight again even after charging it for 8 hours.