1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Spoiler replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by bjtab, Mar 6, 2015.

1. bjtab

bjtab New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks head of time if someone can answer my question. I have a cracked rear spoiler that needs replacement. It is black plastic. My question is can it be replaced just as it is or does it need to be coated and finished? The one on my car seems to be just shiny black plastic. The auto body shop is telling me it needs to be finished with a clear coating over it. Since money is tight can I forego the finishing and just have it replaced the way it is? Also, if anyone on this post lives on Long Island, NY and knows of a reputable and reasonable body shop. please send me an email.

Thanks again!

2. sfprankster

sfprankster Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Check Ebay for an OEM spoiler. I'm almost positive you can find something that is plug 'n play there.

If money is tight as you say, any type of Crazy Glue would seal the broken edges together. It may not look the best, but it would work in a pinch.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm almost completely sure there's no clear coat on the spoiler. I scratched ours a bit, closing the garage door on it. A couple of times. I've taken it off once for a look-see. As far as I can see it's gloss finish black plastic. I pumiced down the scratches and touched up with a little gloss-black lacquer, from an auto touch-up paint bottle with brush.

You should be able to replace it yourself, without any involvement by a body shop. It's NOT dead simple, you need to fight with puzzling fasteners on the hatch interior trim, to get at the spoiler fasteners and bolts. But it's doable.