1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Turn Signal LEDs

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Sigo, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Sigo

Sigo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    All,

Yes, I've searched and haven't found what I'm looking for.

I would like to replace the rear turn signal bulbs with some LEDs. Specifically, I would like the lens to be clear but flash amber. I would like for them to be as bright as the factory incadescent bulbs. I acknowledge that I may have to buy resistors. I've searched for and found the Phillips Silver vision bulbs but they are pretty pricey for what you get.

For those who have successfully accomplished this, which bulbs work the best (source, specific bulb, etc)?

Thanks.

2. Sigo

Sigo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No one has done this??

3. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  4. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You're not going to find any LEDs as bright as the OEM incandescents. The the Phillips Silver vision bulbs are not LEDs. They're incandescents with silver coating. When they're installed, they won't have the fried egg effect because they're silver coated. LEDs don't have the fried egg effect either but they're not as bright during the day. If you don't mind red turn signals you can find red LEDs that are brighter than amber LEDs. Also alot of high count LEDs are too fat to fit into the hole. 30SMD 5050 LED 7443 bulbs like this one Red 30-SMD 7440 7443 LED Brake Stop Lights Bulbs L44 | eBay are pretty bright. You also have to replace the OEM flasher with LED flasher. You can find more details on this thread http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...ations/86583-drl-bulb-technical-question.html

1 person likes this.
  5. MattyB

MattyB New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I tried doing this mod in the rear with LED bulbs that were clear but blinked red. I had them in for a few days and noticed that no one was letting me over when I signaled during the day. They just weren't bright enough. I decided to get the factory bulbs in clear for the front and rear so there is no egg yolk look and they just blink the same white as the reverse lights.

6. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What LED bulb did you use? Did you use the Toyota OEM LED flasher?

7. Sigo

Sigo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just to follow up, I did replace the rear turn signal bulbs with some chrome-dipped bulbs that I got from DDM tuning. Look chrome but flash amber. I was a little disappointed that the entire bulb was not chrome/silver plated. The bottom 1/8 - 1/4 inch was still amber. It still is a lot better than stock. No word yet on longevity but it was only about $8. Weird because I ordered some other chrome dipped bulbs from DDM that were totally chromed out.

8. MattyB

MattyB New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just used some ebay bulbs with the highest LED count I could find. I actually also tried some of the hyper white/blue bulbs dipped in silver and found that they weren't bright enough either. The switch to clear bulbs I found was a good solution. It could also be that I have my rears smoked that they didn't show up as well.

9. offroader

offroader Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi MattyB, who was the Ebayer you purchased the bulbs from do you have a link?
    Thanks

10. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That'd be okay for the front, but you could be cited as they must be red or yellow to the rear.

11. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    you cant really blame the bulb for being dim when you have the lens tinted.

1 person likes this.
  12. DJ2010

DJ2010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III

superbrightleds web site has a high power LED bulb # 7440-xHP3 for 12.95 each and come in amber. I tried these in the rear turn signals and they are as bright as stock with the hazard switch and look great, but they cause the turn signal to flash way too fast, requiring changing the flasher with an LED compatible part, or using ballast resistors which defeats one of the purposes of changing them out which is saving 12V power. These resistors also get hot. So short of removing the instrument panel and dash cover to get to the flasher this is a no go for me at least according to the repair manual. Well for now anyway...

Has anyone replaced that flasher without pulling the whole dash apart?

13. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Would it be possible to take a short video clip of the LED in one side and the standard bulb in the other so we can get a comparison.

I was just in the dash last week and it is not hard at all to pull. In fact I think I found the flasher unit... I believe it is just above the parking brake.

Thanks!

14. MattyB

MattyB New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  15. MattyB

MattyB New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I actually think having white is illegal all around- they need to be amber in the front and can be red or amber in the rear. I've done this to many cars and in my experience I have never been cited for them but I have been pulled over when the police officer wanted an excuse to do a sobriety test. He didn't want to cite me for the lights and let me go but it could be a dangerous mod if you get pulled over after having a drink or two with dinner.

16. MattyB

MattyB New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is very true which is why I need them super bright to compensate- that said, I have 4 of the hyper blue bulbs I am not using. If anyone wants them for free I'll send them off to you if you cover shipping. Message me if you are interested.

17. Prius 06

Prius 06 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid

I did this a while back on my 06 Prius.
    I'm not sure if the new Prius' are the same, but maybe my post from 2009 can help:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-technical-discussion/56670-led-turn-signal-bulbs-3.html

Good luck!

18. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In California, having white in the front is legal (24953 VC).