1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear view mirror house symbol buttons?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cltyler1, Jan 18, 2005.

1. techogurl

techogurl New Member

Have you check the plastic piece that is on the bottom of the door? Mine decided to "move" and it caused the door to not close properly as it would get slightly caught on the bars near the sensor which signals for the door to stop.

2. rocco

rocco Member

You absolutely must install fresh batteries in the handheld remote - just like the manual says. Even if you just "changed" the batteries last week or something.

I love this feature - the remote works so much better than my hand held. I have krappy garage door mechanisms (the doors are fairly new) that must be 25 years old!

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Also, the manual said to hold for what, 20 seconds? I had to wait more like 30.

My door does not have rolling code. My parents' does, and my homelink is ready for their door opener to accept the homelink. The light blinks differently than it did before on the homelink, so I know my end is working.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure what a chamberlain door looks like but mine's the 4-piece folding garage door. It does have infrared sensors on either side inside of the garage. As for the sensors if it was to close on something, I can only assume that it's underneath the rubber lining at the base of the door.

Thanks for your reponses. I'll try and find the manual. I don't recall seeing it unless my parents kept it before we moved in.

5. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The manual for programming the remote is a bit incomplete (as is the one for the Mercedes using the same system).
    Go to www.homelink.com and look up your car and your garage door. Print out the instruction sheet and it should work. Worked for our 99 E300D and the 2005 Prius and it wasn't even a listed opener.

6. seanmcp

seanmcp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    X10 Compatible

Don't forget, these are X10 compatible; I just programmed button #1 and #2 to turn my back porch light on and off since I have X10 modules in my house. If your porch light is on A1, the process is easy: Just take the X10 remote to the car, hold down button #1 on the rearview, hold the A1-On button until the red light on the rearview goes to a fast red/green flash, and then repeat for A1-off on button #2. This still leaves the 'nonadjacent' button #3 for the garage door opener (if you have one; amusingly, my garage doors are still manual, as it's a detached garage so the car goes in it at night or for storms). Very fun to turn a house light on and off from my car, and safe too!

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Re: X10 Compatible

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seanmcp\";p=\"76984)</div>
    Where did you get your X10 modules for your porch lights? Mostly I've seen them for plugging in a light.

8. seanmcp

seanmcp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: X10 Compatible

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709\";p=\"106816)</div>
    Where did you get your X10 modules for your porch lights? Mostly I've seen them for plugging in a light.[/b][/quote]

Don't recall where exactly I got mine, but you can find them at places like this:

http://www.smarthome.com/2005.html

It has to fit inside your outside light housing, if you have one, but ehere are different ones by different manufacturers.

9. dreichla

dreichla New Member

You can also find X-10 components at Radio Shack, although they don't have an extensive product line.

Search ebay for loads of X-10 products. There are some good deals there, if you know what you're looking for.

Also - I'm not sure if the buttons are specifically X-10 compatible. X-10 uses RF devices which convert the signals (from a remote or in our case, the house buttons) INTO the binary X-10 signals which travel through your house wiring. You need X-10 the receiver/transmitter with the little antennae plugged into an outlet somewhere in range.

X-10 is really an inexpensive way to home automation. I have a sensor on the garage door which sends out a signal to the house to turn on the walkway lights, turn on the interior house lights, and lower the thermostat. All with a push from the house button on my mirror.

10. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Thanks. According to the Homelink website, the X10 is compatable. I'll check out the web to see where to get it.

11. pearsonrj

pearsonrj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Are you SURE Homelink is live when car is off?

... I recall trying to open my garage door from my Prius when the car was turned off and it didn't work. The little green light in the mirror didn't come on either.