1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Rear Wiper blade replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by efusco, Sep 20, 2006.

1. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bought replacements.. it doesn't look hard to replace. The trick with the rear blade is squeezing the plastic piece toward the base of the wiper arm and pulling it off. Then you can lift the blade adjacent to the window and replace the insert. I just bought off of brandsport.com:

They also have a 10% coupon right now: SCIONLIFE

So for 3 refills (Driver, passenger, rear):

2004-2009 Toyota Prius Wiper Blade Refill Single Wiper Insert Premium Graphite Coated $3.50 1 $3.50
    2004-2009 Toyota Prius Wiper Blade Refill Single Wiper Insert "G" Style, 650mm (25-1/2") long Premium Graphite Coated $5.85 1 $5.85
    2004-2009 Toyota Prius Wiper Blade Refill Single Wiper Insert Premium Graphite Coated $3.99 1 $3.99
    Subtotal: $13.34
    Shipping: $2.65
    Tax: $0.00
    10% savings: -$1.33
    Total: $14.66

I'm happy with that :)

2. Los

Los Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just went to pepboys and got the Proline size 14-2 Rear wiper replacement for $9.99, followed the instructions on how to remove the rear wiper hinge cover (important to do item) then the rest was easy. The PDF is on Priuschat, search under "Prius Maintenance: Wiper-Blades"

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The technique comatoes describes is correct.

For those that are interested the OEM part # is 85242-47010 Blade RR Wiper

The price was $14.71 plus tax at Tejas Toyota in Humble, TX

I got the part's guy to put it on for me. I watched him do it, then duplicated the job at home. It takes about two to three minutes to do the work. Just don't get in a hurry, as it is all plastic and can break if you get manly with it. :D

Ron (dorunron)

4. AZGeek

AZGeek Semi-informed Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I agree. Better yet, here is a link to a video taken from this post ( http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...-rear-wiper-arm-2010-prius-2.html#post1527746) that describes how to make a permanent mod so you don't always have to futz around with removing the cover. I just made the mod by removing the plastic tab on the cover and it works great. I wish I was paying attention years ago because I've been frustrated many time over the past 8 years with the limited lift on that rear wiper.

For those wanting the direct link to the video: http://youtu.be/50btxtAuHfE

5. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Interesting mod that should work. I think the reason Toyota designed it that way was to eliminate the wiper blade flipping over in an automatic car wash with the brushes. I have seen that happen with other vehicles. A lot of the car washes now put a bag over the rear wiper or tape them down.

6. kocho

kocho Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. Advance Auto has the Trico refills. Just make sure you get the right thickness... I am not sure if my front passenger wiper is original or someone put a new one down the road, but the driver side is 8mm where the passenger side is 6mm... I assume (have yet to check) the rear is also 6mm. The 26" refills go for about $6-8 (with/without promotion codes). Changed the front passenger a few days ago and the replacement was easy. The rear should be no different, once it is lifted-up away from the window, right?

7. Happy4Rob

Happy4Rob New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought rear wiper blade assembly at Walmart for about $9.00. ANCO REAR BLADE AR-16A 410 mm. Its not listed in THE BOOK for the Prius. But it appears to be clone of the old wiper assembly that I replaced. Just remove clip to lock the wiper up. Then grab the lower part of the assembly and slowly hinge the assemble so that the blade faces the front of the car and remove it. You may need to press the clip on the wiper arm so that the assemble will hinge out.

8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good price when you consider the OEM replacement assembly is $14.71 plus tax - reference post #23 this thread.

Ron (dorunron)

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you guys can change the rubber in the blade, the correct part number is 85214-47010 for the refill and the price is $3.10 plus shipping at Champion Toyota, Houston.

I usually will use a refill instead of buying a new blade, unless the old blade has incurred some damage.

10. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you Patrick for the part number. I will look into that the next time I want to change that blade, which will be next year. Interesting that the stealer did not offer it, as I did ask for a refill blade at the time.

Ron (dorunron)

11. MagyarPrius

MagyarPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I am trying to find replacement wiper blades for my 2016 Gen 4 Prius, and can't find any. Even Toyota doesn't stock any.