1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recall on Steering Extension Shaft

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by joeman, Mar 9, 2014.

1. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Being just recently purchasing my 06,the seller handed me this recall at the closing.
    It is actually a follow up notice. Plan to go in dealer and see what's up this week.
    Just wanted to see if anyone else got this notice, if so what happened at the dealer.
    I hope I have this posted in right place. View attachment 62733

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    There have been two recalls on the steering shaft of early Gen2 Prii. My 2004 had a "clunk" in the steering which cost $900 to repair. When Toyota issued the first recall some time later, They argued that my problem was in a different part of the steering column so they did not rebate me any of the cost. When the second recall (the one referenced in this thread) came out My Prius again showed no problem, but after a series of discussions with Toyota Customer Service and Much paperwork back and forth, Toyota sent me a $500 check covering more than half of my sunk steering repair cost.

I should note that this is the only unexpected, significant failure that this wonderful car has had in 10 years and 255k miles.

JeffD

joeman likes this.
  3. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Jeff, that is good to know on the current recall.
    The notice I received said if they find the shaft with insufficient hardness they will replace at no charge under warranty .

That is great on your car, the fact that your car has done so well.
    That is why I didn't hesitate too much about buying mine with 144k.
    At what mileage did you change your Hybrid Battery?

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I put in a ReInVolt (now Dorman) at 195k miles. My dealer installed it for me! $2000 total cost plus I was allowed to keep my old battery and after testing 27/28 modules were still good. I rebalanced them and sold them in 6 sets for others to fix their Prii netting $700. So total Battery replacement cost was $1300.

JeffD

5. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My new hybrid battery is the same brand. That is great mileage on your original battery, I would say maybe you got above average life out of it, what's your secret?

6. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Living in a moderate climate with no mountains. Actually the average life of a Prius HV battery is a bit longer than 200k miles - excluding hot climates and mountain topology.

JeffD

7. joeman

joeman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Intermediate Extention Shaft for steering was replace by local Toyota Dealer today. There was no cost to me. Just wanted to pass that on.

8. andrewsilver

andrewsilver Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have a 2007 Prius Touring but did not receive a recall notice for the intermediate shaft. My steering has become a bit notchy on center. It is mostly noticeable when it is hot outside. In cooler weather I don't notice it as much. I have 87000 miles and tires are even and rotated.

Should I be eligible for the intermediate shaft recall? I looked on the Toyota owners site and my VIN shows no pending recalls. And would this possibly fix the notchy on-center steering I'm experiencing? Anyone else experiencing this notchy steering? Thanks.

9. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I wouldn't play with any steering problem. When I detected a clunk in my 2004 steering it cost $900 to fix. When the first steering shaft recall was issued Toyota claimed it was in a different area of the shaft so no rebate, but at the second recall Toyota refunded me $500 of my earlier cost (after much paperwork).

Call Toyota customer service and start a case to see if they will cover part of the cost due to the history of Prius Steering shaft problems.

JeffD