1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Recommended Tire Pressure

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Big Steve, Jun 2, 2012.

1. MandiRocker

MandiRocker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Atm-- at the moment, oops, my texting abbreviations snuck into my pc post :/

walter Lee likes this.
  2. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've been running 65 psi in my Insight-I tires for years (44 psi sidewall rating). No problems.

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    How are your roads ?

4. Insight-I Owner

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Typical Southern New England highways and suburban roads, some potholes and frost heaves. But Insight also goes to Boston, where roads are worse on average. No problems either place. With a car in say Guatemala (some smooth highways but cobblestone streets in Antigua and dirt roads in other areas) I would not go that high. Not so much because worrying about bursting tires, more about loads transmitted to the suspension causing wear there.

The improvements in mpg diminish the higher you go, and of course ride suffers. I figure 65psi gives a good mpg improvement and I don't speed, so I hit bumps more gently (and have more time to avoid them) than many people on the road. Others use higher psi.

Prius is at 44psi and that seems fine for the way I drive. I may experiment with it sometime.

5. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    41/39 two weeks ago

Best tank so far:

Tank 7
    Date 6/10/12
    Miles 498.0
    Gallons 9.54
    Mpg 52.2
    Gas price $3.299
    City 60%

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I installed Energy Savers yesterday and tried to set the air pressure but it was 80F so it was difficult to get it where I wanted it. Today I noticed the tires felt out of balance like they were skipping down the road. I checked the pressure and they were at 58psi or so! It was 98F out but I lowered the pressure anyway and the ride home was smooth. Maybe these tires don't like high pressure?

7. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree.

On dry good flat roads the tire's sidewall max pressure delivers better MPGs

On uneven - grooved (e.g. rumble strips) - poor road - to get better fuel efficiency the tires need to deform a bit more to the uneven road surfaces and the lower tire pressure setting that Toyota recommends gives better handling performance and fuel efficiency.

8. walter Lee

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

LOL. In a moment of euphoria and zeal.. we all get carried away at times... :)

65 ATM would crush a nuclear submarine which are normally rated at 30 ATM...

9. walter Lee

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A Prius is much heavier than the Insight and has a higher center of gravity - so the Prius ride will be harsher and handling worst than the Insight at those pressures. I agree - it is not the tires which are at risk but the suspension and the shocks. I found that the mpg boost (atleast on a 3rd gen Prius) from going over max sidewall pressures (50/48psi) is optimized when the road is dry and smooth and when the vehicle is going at speeds where wind resistance/drag is not a signficant factor.

10. Insight-I Owner

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't noticed any problems whatsoever with the ride or handling of either one, at least the way I drive. Certainly braking wet or dry is fine. But I have not gone up to 65psi with the Prius.
    Wouldn't it be great if we had a way to adjust tire pressures from inside the car while driving, to cope with different road surface conditions?? Unfortunately, we don't. I'm not sure why MPG would be lower at higher pressures on rough or wet pavement. I'll just go with what works on dry smooth pavement and take what I get in other conditions.

11. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I normally keep mine around 42 front and 40 rear. Of course, the PSI will go up as I drive but I think it's a good range.

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^ The sidewall max pressure is a cold tyre rating, so no worries.

13. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's what I thought. After I started driving for a while I checked and they were upwards of 46 which kinda scared me a little bit.. Does that mean I should be safe going 44/42 even if they get to 48/46 due to driving? That seems pretty high.

14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ^^ Sure. The sidewall max pressure has a hefty* safety margin built in. Just do not pump over max pressure and then go off-roading ;)

I can understand pumping up tyres over sidewall max pressures for a fuel economy challenge, but for day to day driving the marginal improvement is going to be quite low, perhaps too low to recognize.

* IIRC 20%, but do not quote me

LulzChicken likes this.
  15. Whiteyprius

Whiteyprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I ran Goodyear Assurance FuelMax on my 2008 at pressure you are suggesting and wore them out in the center of the tread in less than half their guaranteed life. My current policy is 2 lbs above door post recommendations. I hope I'll get better wear on the Yokohama YK580's.

16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Fuel Max tires are unique in this case. They wear out the centers very quickly and even quicker when overinflated! :)

17. Insight-I Owner

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2011 came with Goodyear Assurance tires. They don't say "Fuel Max" on them but to the right of "Assurance" there is a little fuel gauge symbol with the needle on F, and Tire Rack says the OEM Goodyears are Fuel Maxes.

I have been running them at sidewall 44psi since I got the car about 15,000 miles ago, and have just gone up to 50psi. I just checked the tread with a digital gauge and found even depth across the tread of all four tires.

Maybe there is something different about the Gen-II (rim width? suspension geometry?) or about the Goodyear Fuel Maxes used on them??? Or maybe I'm just blessed??

18. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have the same tires and at 16,000 miles they are wearing evenly. I always run at least 40 psi, currently at 46/44psi. Maybe they have changed.

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is also a difference between aftermarket and OE Fuel Max tires. They even sell both models at TireRack and they offer different max pressure and warranties. That could be the difference right there.

walter Lee likes this.
  20. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interesting, I didn't realize the OEM Fuel Max's were only S rated. I should get down on the ground and read my tires more often:)

I don't care about the low speed rating but an S rating usually implies an inferior construction compared to an H. These don't feel bad for OEM tires on a low/moderate priced car. I will go for something better when I replace them though.