1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red triangle along with other odd happenings

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DesertPrius2015, Mar 5, 2015.

1. DesertPrius2015

DesertPrius2015 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So this started about two days ago I started my prius with foot on the brake and after starting the ABS VSC and ((!)) stayed on. Took my foot off the brake and they went away. It drove fine to work. Then I've noticed the past couple times it has seemed to either discharge quickly or fill up rather quickly on the battery meter.

Today as I went to leave work, red triangle and check engine light came on as well as a red car with exclamation point on the nav screen. It drove fine to a spot to get the code checked and they said it came back as P0A80. I was able to drive home and make it to the house no problems and again seemed to operate fine and I never noticed a battery fan to be running.

I tried the 12v check as well and in ACC mode it came up 12.1 with nothing on, 11.2 once I hit on again and turned on the headlights and then once put in ready mode it showed 14.1.

Would you say it's most likely the hybrid battery or the 12v or something else? I know I've seen times where people say certain things can trigger other codes.

If it is the HV are there any good recommendations for options in the phoenix, AZ area?

Thanks in advance for your time

iPhone ?

2. DesertPrius2015

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a 2006 with about 135k miles. Sorry

iPhone ?

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, you should replace the 12V battery. However you will need to also replace the high voltage traction battery.

4. DesertPrius2015

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, so if the p0a80 is the only code it's probably true and not just triggered by the 12v then?

iPhone ?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    most likely. the rapid charging and discharging is a telltale. but you might as well start with the 12v, it's close to dead. doorman has been mentioned as a decent replacement hybrid battery.

6. DesertPrius2015

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone know of a place that installs for reasonable price in phoenix? Or there is a place called greentec that will do mobile installs to the house, anyone heard of them?

iPhone ?

7. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would start with Craigslist. A quick search of Phoenix Craigslist showed three or four options for LOCAL battery repair. Local being the important factor. The idea of shipping rebuilt batteries nationwide is just silly. The shipping costs alone can be half of what a small local company can do the whole job for. Installation is another area that the national guys cannot compete with local companies. Then there is the issue of warranty. Dealing face to face you at least have a chance of being treated fairly if you need warranty work.

Brad