1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red triangle and Check engine light - Is this the Inverter Cooling System?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by uglyhuh, Aug 28, 2016.

1. uglyhuh

uglyhuh New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I have a 2009 toyota prius with about 152k miles on it. I was driving and all of a sudden the Red triangle light and the check engine light came one. The AC seams to also stop producing cold air. I turned the car off and the problems went away after the car cooled down. Sometimes an orange light comes on the dash with an exclamation point and circles around it. I took it to a mechanic and had him scan for codes and this is what came up "Inverter cooling system performance" P0A93 - What do I do to solve this?? Is it dangerous to drive? What can anyone recommend?? PLEASE HELP!

2. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to the Forum!

Remove the cap from your inverter coolant reservoir and look for turbulence (car in "READY" mode). That will tell you if the inverter coolant pump is working.

You also will find a lot of threads on this topic if you search the forum. Use the search box at the top right of the page and you will get a lot of info on what to look for/do. If you have never changed the inverter coolant, that might be good advice too!

3. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It sounds possible the inverter is overheating so yes, it's bad to drive. And dangerous to you if the car fails in a bad place.

In addition to the turbulence mentioned above (best to check that after pushing the start button twice with foot off brake) there should be a very low hum from the pump which is located behind the left headlight, like an aquarium pump. If the pump appears to be running well, there could be a problem with the radiator or radiator fan.

4. uglyhuh

uglyhuh New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Took it to the dealer, there was a recall on the cooling pump and it was fixed for free. This solved my issue, thanks for the response!

5. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Glad it was that simple! Enjoy the drive!