1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Triangle, drives well, but battery at 9.6V - am I on the right track?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by chickenboy, Oct 27, 2014.

1. chickenboy

chickenboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a UK 2006 Prius, 120K on the clock. Yesterday had slightly odd thing where car was not locking, just "clicked" once, but doors didn't lock. Think I started the car, stopped, then it was all fine - and promptly forgot about it...

Today, got in, big red triangle/exclaimation mark, yellow engine, VSC warning, but it drove normally - not in limp mode (yet!). Have done a bit of reading, tried the Display Check > Vehicle Signal Check menu, and the Battery reads as 9.6V - see picture.

(Instructions from Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery | PriusChat)

Is that definitely the problem? That battery has never been changed to my knowledge (I've had the car 3 years) - so it it just a simple swap out for a new one? Do I need to reset the red triangle warning somehow?

Attached Files:

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes you definitely need a new 12v. Just swap out the old with new. Hopefully that'll resolve your red triangle.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check with brit prius, he's got the rundown on uk 12volts.

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    At 9.6 volts I am surprised your running at all. Low voltage 12 volt batteries in the Prius can give all sorts of problems.
    After fitting the new battery you will loose the drivers window auto close setup, and the car will take a little while to relearn you driving so will use more fuel.
    Also after fitting you will need to go through two start procedures before it will start.

John (Britprius)

Robert Holt and GrumpyCabbie like this.
  5. chickenboy

chickenboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks John - I could fit it myself i'm sure, but I think I'll see how much Toyota want first.

If Toyota decide to have a laugh tomorrow - what spec of 12V battery do I need?? - just been looking on halfrauds and there seem to be so many 12V batteries that don't look right!

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you take my advice do not buy from Halfrauds. There are many batteries in the UK for the Prius. Varta and Bosch make replacements starting at around £40 depending on the length of guarantee (up to 5 Years) The battery has to be a very specific size to fit and should have JIS posts (Japanese Industrial Standard) these are smaller than normal imperial posts. The positive post must be on the left with the terminals (posts) closest to you.
    Buy the battery from any motorist spares shop If you need battery model numbers let me know.
    Expect to pay about £100 for the battery at the dealers plus fitting.

John (Britprius)

7. chickenboy

chickenboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like I need to sort this pronto - I'll report back with my bill from Toyota :-(

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I would ring the dealer and check the price first you could easily save £50.

John (Britprius)

9. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    [/QUOTE]I would ring the dealer and check the price first you could easily save £50.

John (Britprius)[/QUOTE]

John are you still recommending the Mobility Batteries or have the price options increased significantly in the UK?

10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I would ring the dealer and check the price first you could easily save £50.

John (Britprius)[/QUOTE]

John are you still recommending the Mobility Batteries or have the price options increased significantly in the UK?[/QUOTE]
    I would still recommend the mobility batteries over OEM type batteries. Both have risen in price due to the increase in the price of lead, but not substantially. Most people however understandably do not want to alter fuss with the terminals. I have now changed a number for friends.

John (Britprius)

11. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I thought the Toyota price was fixed at £95 including fitting. Considering the faff with the vent tube it might be worth just getting the dealer to fit it?

Repairs & Parts - Toyota Owners | Toyota UK

Scroll down to the Fixed Price Repair section and then update the car to the correct Prius and it displays the 12v cost.

Maybe the op would consider the Hybrid Health Check for £39 as his car is close to warranty expiry or maybe out of it?

12. chickenboy

chickenboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Exacty right - booked in for saturday morning 9.30am, £95 with fitting and vat.
    Just hoping it can last until saturday!

13. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Fingers crossed we don't get a cold snap.

Have you considered the Hybrid Health Check? It's only £39 and offers an additional 10k miles/12 months warranty on your HV battery. Might be a consideration as you're now out of manufacturers warranty.

14. chickenboy

chickenboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    HHC interests me - so read on Toyota site, as you say...

"With each Hybrid Health Check you will get up to 1 year or 10,000 miles extension (whichever comes soonest) on your hybrid battery cover which can be renewed up to the 10th anniversary of the car's registration with no limit on total mileage."

So I've only got 2 years possible (its an 06), but that does sound like a good deal if it will cover me for hybrid battery failure for a year... (I've replaced a cell on the hybrid before, not sure I have the patience to try that again!)

15. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    And it's unlimited mileage, assuming your HV battery passes the first time. I haven't heard of one on the UK forms that hasn't.

So whilst you only have 2 years left (it's 10 years inclusive or upto 11), the benefit depends on how many miles you do a year. They also provide the HHC free as part of a main dealer service so it could work out cheaper to go to the dealers overall. And you could always try and get the dealers to price match - though not all will. You don't ask, you don't get :)

16. chickenboy

chickenboy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh well, battery now completely stuffed - can't even unlock the doors. (also parked in our shared parking which is inaccessible to tow trucks, and it seems to be locked in gear so can't push it out). Having to get my sister in to jump start, then dump at Toyota until they get a battery in :-(

17. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Be VERY careful when jump starting a Prius. Your sister must NOT rev her engine and you must ensure you don't short out the jump leads on the car as you'll fry the computers. Also, the Prius takes an age to charge a dud battery so once you are started you don't want to stop.

Good luck

18. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    It is actually best if the "donor" vehicle is left OFF......and the connection is removed immediately after the crippled car starts.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  19. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Toytota extended guarantee is free with any service so if you wait till then it would cost nothing.

John (Britprius)

20. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I read that 4 times and then stared at it for a while and then read it again.
    I still don't understand what you are trying to say.