1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red triangle no shift after overnight storm

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Frost32, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Frost32

Frost32 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I own a 2009 touring that I bought with 96000 miles and now have about 105k on it. I have changed the 12v battery to the optima and changed plugs, transaxle fluid, inverter fluid about 4 months ago. I have changed oil and filter twice since I owned it. (June 2012)

Now the problem, I got stuck on the Long Island Expressway (aka the LIE "the worlds biggest lie"), the snow got too deep and I was struggling to keep going. While driving the slip warning light (VSC)came on often.

I had a friend with 4WD tow me home about 10 miles varying speeds from 10mph to about 35mph, I kept the car in neutral most of the time and when I saw hybrid battery getting low (last blue or first purple)I would put car in drive to charge it. When we got to my house, I had to dig out a spot in front then was able to drive vehicle for the few feet to get it out of the middle of the street.

Yesterday I tried to start car and it looks like the 12v battery was drained. I am. It sure if I pushed the park button and then turned car off but I do normally so I would say that I did. I tried to jump it and I got lights on dash with the dreaded red triangle and engine light among others. The touch screen display read that the vehicle was not in park and I should get to a flat surface and apply parking brake. Also the light on the power button would sometimes be green and then go amber and the park light was flashing green. I could not get shift lever Togo into drive or reverse or neutral.

I did put a trickle charger on it overnight from the engine compartment but have not ventured out there yet.

Is there any hope of a inexpensive / no cost solution or am I going to be paying the bank for a driveway decoration?

2. Frost32

Frost32 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh I also forgot to mention I left the flashers on too.

3. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Try starting it now that it was charged. I'm not a mechanic but wonder if you drained the traction battery . Hopefully now that the 12V is charged you can start the car. In the future have the car professionally towed to avoid damage. This may have to go to the dealer. Lets hear from one of the master technicians.

MattK likes this.
  4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The message about the parking brake, flat surface, etc. is one of the common symptoms of low 12V. If you see that the car won't go into Ready. So charging the battery should bring it back around. I doubt there is a problem with the traction battery, as even a very low SOC will still start the engine.

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like you dodged the bullet, but towing a Prius with the front wheels on the ground is a very bad idea. As JMD noted it can drain the traction battery or destroy the transmission.

JMD likes this.
  6. Frost32

Frost32 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys. So far the charge worked and I was able to put it in the driveway. Roads here are such a mess I did not want to chance driving it around again.
    This is the best place for everything related to Prius cars and their owners.

Sorry I did not respond sooner but had to go next door and use the snowblower for a few hours then go get something to eat. BTW we got 33.6 inches of snow I WILL NOT be using the Prius if there is another storm like this.

richard schumacher and JMD like this.