1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red (!), Yellow (!) and ABS...from washing car?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FazilHussein, May 11, 2014.

1. FazilHussein

FazilHussein Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello All,

First time I've had to post on this site...car has been ultra-reliable to this point.

Car just rolled 100km; I decided to change the transaxle fluid, perform an oil change, replace cabin filter, clean the K&N and replace some of the inverter coolant. Most of these services were performed with the car in ramps and the parking brake engaged.

I finished up and took it for a rip; no issues. It was filthy from winter, so I decided to give it a bath.

When I tried to start it up, the dash lit up...red triangle, no PS, red (!), yellow (!) and ABS.

I did some reading and tried to dumped the fault coded with the OBD2 4-13 jumper trick: yellow (!) = 47, ABS = 42. Tried to reset via brake pump 8x/5s, codes come right back.

Pulled the front wheels off, checked the brake pads, ohm'd out the ABS sensors (1.7k each)...I have no clue where to check next.

Car drives fine; the brakes feel weird....much more brake travel, no assist from the motor....very grabby, but still functional.

Any ideas? Something else I should try? All input appreciated!

Thanks,

Fazil

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check your 12v battery readings. Not sure why you tried to reset with jumper.

The maintenance items you did should not interfere with your brakes. You didn't mention doing anything with them. If anything, the parking brake probably didn't disengage properly. Not sure if the jumper trick done wrong could damage the brakes.

You most likely need the dtc read

SM-N900P ?

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yellow (!) = 47 corresponds to DTC C1247 and means that the brake stroke sensor or the skid control ECU has failed. If you are going to DIY I suggest you replace the sensor first since that is easier to access and less costly.

I further suggest you buy Mini VCI (running on a Windows XP or Windows 7, 32 bit OS laptop) to verify the DTC and refer to techinfo.toyota.com for factory repair manual info which you will need to do a correct repair.

dorunron likes this.
  4. FazilHussein

FazilHussein Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello,

12V battery was replaced earlier this year; however, I did check it....11.8V when ready.

Thanks,

FH

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    might water have entered the engine compartment?

6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the Prius was actually READY and you only measured 11.8V, then either the DC/DC converter in the inverter has failed or the DC/DC fusible link blew. The voltage measurement should be more like 13.8V.

7. FazilHussein

FazilHussein Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I stand corrected; 11.8V with no load, 13.4V in Ready.

I have ordered a miniVLC from ebay; I'll send the car into the dealership to have to DTCs pulled. If it's under $500 to get it done, then I'll let them at it....otherwise, I'll bring it home and tackle it.

How much is the factory repair manual? Is changing the brake stoke sensor/skid control ECU DIY? I'm fairly handy with cars, performed all maintenance on every car I have ever owned (timing belts, suspension, brakes).

Thanks for all the input!

Fazil

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would charge up or replace your 12v battery, it seems too low.

If the brakes are grabby, try cleaning/ replacing the rear brakes

Did you use the right transaxle fluid? 4 qts ws fluid

SM-N900P ?

CatsAreGods likes this.
  9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree that the 12V battery should either be charged or replaced. A new 12V battery fully-charged should measure 12.9V when the car is IG-OFF, after surface charge has dissipated.

The techinfo subscription starts at $15 for a two business day period. I don't think you will want to buy the paper manuals as they will cost >$400.

The brake stroke sensor is a reasonable DIY project if you have the manual; while the skid control ECU replacement requires you to remove the steering wheel and much of the instrument panel for access.

10. FazilHussein

FazilHussein Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello,

Yes, 4 qts ws, right from Toyota...torqued both plugs to 29 ft.lbs.

11. FazilHussein

FazilHussein Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello,

Did the battery test again last night; 12.1V IG-OFF, 14.1V Ready....too low?

FH

12. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, the 12V battery should be replaced if you've already tried to charge it.

13. FazilHussein

FazilHussein Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello,

Charged the battery; same codes after resetting via 4/13 paperclip.

Dealership can't see me for 3 weeks; the mini vc will be here before then.

In an effort to debug, I've been working through the brake components while leaving the paperclip in 4/13...my theory is that each component I pull should throw a new code...if not, I have my culprit.

Tried removing the connection to the brake battery booster (new to the aux battery), new code. Same as the 4 relays....reset the system using 8/5s trick, pull the relay, check for new code. Checked the fuses and confirmed the fusible link for the ABS is intact via ohm meter to the ABS relay.

Is there a simple way (short of taking it apart) to pull the power from the brake stroke simulator? Where do I find it?

Thanks,

Fazil

14. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The brake pedal stroke sensor can be found under the dashboard. Follow the brake pedal up to its end where it pivots. The sensor is mounted to the bracket that contains the pivot point.

15. FazilHussein

FazilHussein Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Finally got Mini-VCI, it's a f/w 1.41 version.

Tried to read DTCs; won't communicate with ABS system...see attachment.

Any ideas?

16. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. There is no attachment.
    2. I do not understand "f/w 1.41". The version that I had purchased is V8.00.034

3. What is the copyright date of your software and does it automatically recognize that it is connected to a 2005 Prius?

17. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mini Vci works with a 32bit windows operating system. Install the driver first....then install techstream software.....then connect to car

18. FazilHussein

FazilHussein Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tried installing the s/w on another laptop, same thing....1/2 ECUs aren't being read....

Figured it had to be something major to take out the canbus, so went old school on it.

I pulled and checked all the fuses under the dash one by one....found the 7.5A for OBD blown. Replaced it, fired up mini VCI, came up without issue. Tried clearing the DTCs, no dice. Did a zero point calibration, cleared DTCs, good to go!!!!!!

Drove it last night, no issues. Might not be out of the woods yet as fuses don't go on their on, but time will tell.

Anyone that does not have a mini VCI should drop what they're doing right now and order one....you cannot work on this car without one. It's AMAZING what this tool can do.

Much thanks for this site, in particular Patrick and JC for the help.

FH

19. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When you washed the car did you hose off the bottom chassis of the car also?

20. FazilHussein

FazilHussein Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tried installing the s/w on another laptop, same thing....1/2 ECUs aren't being read....

Figured it had to be something major to take out the canbus, so went old school on it.

I pulled and checked all the fuses under the dash one by one....found the 7.5A for OBD blown. Replaced it, fired up mini VCI, came up without issue. Tried clearing the DTCs, no dice. Did a zero point calibration, cleared DTCs, good to go!!!!!!

Drove it last night, no issues. Might not be out of the woods yet as fuses don't go on their on, but time will tell.

Anyone that does not have a mini VCI should drop what they're doing right now and order one....you cannot work on this car without one. It's AMAZING what this tool can do. Save me at least the cost of reading the codes

Much thanks for this site, in particular Patrick and JC for the help.

FH
    Hi Ed,

Yes, I did; there was some fluid drip from the transaxle fluid change...wanted to clean it up to check for leaks.

Could this be related to the failure?

FH